Chapter 74

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

I walked into the DNA testing center and headed straight to the front desk.

After the call I got from the manager I just had an uneasy feeling about everything.

So I decided to come down to the center myself to get some answers.

"Hello ma'am how can I help you?" the worker asked.

"Yes is your manager Linda here?" I asked.

"Linda?" the woman questioned like she had no clue who I was referring to.

"Your manager called me yesterday about my test results being inconsistent or something. I just wanted to further discuss the issue with her," I said.

"Karen I got this," a woman said coming out from the back.

"Hello," I said as she approached me.

"Hi... You're Zoey right?" she asked.

"Yes... Are you Linda?" I asked.

"No but we should talk," the woman said.

She told her co-worker she was taking a quick break and she grabbed her purse and we walked outside.

The woman and I walked out of the office and stood outside on the sidewalk.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"My name is... It isn't really important. Look you said you wanted answers and well I think I could have the answers you're looking for," she said.

"Ok what's going on?" I asked confused.

"You came in here two months ago with a man by the name of Mr. Livingston right?" the woman asked.

"Yes and a guy named Caleb... wait I actually remember you now. You did our test," I said.

"Yes... I did... but... I messed with the results," she admitted.

"What!" I shouted.

"Ma'am please... I've felt guilty since I did it. I'm a young mother and well I made a huge mistake," she said.

"What did you do?" I demanded answers.

"Well after I took your blood and the blood of the two men with you, Mr. Livingston asked me for a favor. He said he wanted the results to read that he was the father no matter what. He even wrote me a check for $100,000 to do this," the woman revealed.

"He did what!" I said shocked.

"Listen he handed me the check and didn't allow me to say another word. He just wanted the task done. But after all three of you left another man by the same name came in... he look like the other guy just older. He said his name was Mr. Livingston too. He demanded I make the test results say his son was the father even if he weren't. He also said he wanted a copy of the original results before any of you got them. He was very intimidating and said if I didn't do as he asked he had ways to make me regret it. I was scared and just rushed the results and gave you the results these men wanted you to have. I gave the father and son the original results as well as the altered ones. Look I don't know what their motives were but I want you to know I've felt so guilty. I didn't even cash the check because I just knew this might all come back to haunt me," the woman explained.

The woman pulled the check out of her purse.

"Here take it. It's blood money as far as I'm concerned. I don't want a dime of it anymore," she said.