Chapter 61

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

Stewart walked back into my apartment and slammed the door furiously.

"Why did you do that? He just wanted to talk to me," I said.

"You're done with him right? He dumped you! So there is nothing for you two to talk about," Stewart said angrily as he walked over to the kitchen sink.

I walked over and watched as Stewart washed his hands.

I saw blood going down the drain and was horrified.

"Are you bleeding?" I asked reaching for his hand.

"No. He's bleeding," Stewart said with satisfaction.

"What! What did you do to him?" I said worried as I headed towards the door.

I got to the door and reached for the doorknob.

I cracked the door opened and Stewart came right up behind me and slammed it shut.

He forcefully turned me around to face him and his eyes were dark.

This is the angriest I'd ever seen Stewart.

Something wasn't right.

"Why are you always chasing after him? He doesn't want to be saved by you Zoey! Focus on me... the man that loves you and is the father of your baby," Stewart said.

"Stewart he might need help!" I reasoned.

"Well you aren't his savor anymore," Stewart said as he leaned down to kiss me.

He forced a kiss to my lips and I quickly turned my head away and slapped him.

"Move!" I shouted as I slipped past him and ran outside.

I ran outside and saw my cousin bent down by Caleb who was clearly hurt from Stewart beating him up.

"Oh my gosh Caleb! Are you ok!" I said as I ran to him.

"He's fine! Unfortunately! I don't see why everyone is fucking gathered around him! He's not a dam victim!" I heard Stewart shout from the doorway of my apartment.

"I called 911. What happened?" Cheyenne asked.

"I kicked his ass!" Stewart shouted angrily.

What was the matter with him?

"Caleb..." I said as I held his hand.

Caleb looked at me weakly as he held his side.

"I... I.... I think that prick broke my ribs," Caleb said weakly.

"Shh.... Caleb don't talk," I said as I gently brushed my hand over his cheek.

"Unbelievable!" Stewart said angrily.

I just ignored him.

Stewart had taken this whole thing way too far.

What he had done was totally unnecessary.

I didn't leave Caleb's side.

I held his hand and stayed with him until the ambulance came.

Once the ambulance came I rode with them to the hospital.

Caleb didn't deserve what Stewart had done to him.

This whole going back and forth between two men that hated each other was the worst thing I could have ever done.

I blamed myself.

Caleb got hurt due to Stewart's jealous and possessive ways.

Even if Caleb and I never got back together I would be here for him.

Stewart was the last person I wanted to see or deal with after all this.

Caleb P.O.V.

I had been admitted to the hospital and my ribs were bruised.

The doctor said I'd be ok but would just have to wait for things to heal on their own.

I was given some pain meds and then released.

Zoey had came with me to the hospital and was with me when I was released.

She came back to my condo with me and tried to make sure I was settled.

Livingston had lost it and I knew his anger wasn't about Zoey. It was about college... his sister... his ex. Livingston has issues and he needs to get help and stop taking all his anger out on me.

I was sick of this decade old beef we'd had between us.

I might be becoming a father and I don't want to deal with this petty shit between Livingston and I anymore.

"Are you sure you're going to be ok?" Zoey asked as I laid on my couch.

"Yeah I'll be fine," I said.

"Well then I'm going to catch an Uber home," Zoey said.

I propped my head on a pillow.

"Caleb I'm really sorry for what happened. This is all my fault," Zoey apologized.

"Zoey you've done a lot of foul shit in the past six months behind my back but the fight between Stewart and I this afternoon wasn't about you. He's been angry with me since college and if beating the living shit out of me made him feel better then so be it. I'm done arguing and going back and forth. I might be becoming a father and I want to be the father that baby you're carrying deserves," I said.

I reached out and touched Zoey's stomach.

Her stomach was still flat but just knowing a life was growing inside her moved me.

"I think you'll make a great father Caleb," Zoey said.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Sure," she said.

"Do you love him?" I asked.

Zoey was quiet and looked down.

"I wont be angry if you say yes," I said.

"It's not that... it's just... I don't know if I ever loved either of you. To be honest I don't think I know what love even is. Caleb I didn't grow up in the most stable household. I've never really been shown love so I'm not sure how to give it. I was selfish and only thought of the satisfaction I got from being chased by two men. I will admit I liked the affection that you and Stewart both gave me. But I can't say that I'm in love with either one of you because I don't know how loving someone is suppose to make me feel. I don't even love myself... if I did I probably wouldn't be in this mess," Zoey admitted.

"Well while we're being honest with each other I can admit I've never fallen in love with a woman until you. Zoey you opened my heart up and made me do things out of my comfort zone. I resented it a bit at first when I found out you cheated on me. But now I want to thank you for it because it helped me grow as a man. The pain of heartbreak is an emotion no one ever wants to feel but it's an emotion everyone should go through at least once in their life. It humanizes you in a way you've never been humanized before," I said.

"Caleb do you think you could ever forgive me?" Zoey asked.

"I'd already forgiven you when I showed up at your place. I actually had gone to see you because I wanted us to talk about the baby and our plan moving forward if I'm the father," I said.

"Well we have months to discuss everything after I take a DNA test and if in fact you are the dad," Zoey said.

"I might be jinxing it by saying this but I really hope I'm the father," I said.

Zoey didn't say anything and I didn't say anything else either.

She told me to rest up and I let her leave.

I was left feeling like we'd made some steps towards repairing at least what could become a friendship between us in the future.