Chapter 50

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

I wrapped a towel around my waist and stood in the doorway of my bathroom.

I watched as Zoey sat on my bed and put on her heels for her last day of work.

She was finally going to quit working for that scumbag Livingston and work for Jasmine.

Jasmine was starting her own business and I was sure she didn't have a clue what she was doing but I was glad to have my girl working with someone I didn't have to worry about her being around.

"What ya looking at?" Zoey smiled as she stood up.

"Just wondering what I ever did to deserve waking up to a beauty like you everyday," I smiled as she came over to me.

"Have a good workout and meeting handsome," Zoey said.

"You have a good last day working for Livingston. I wish I could be there to see the look on his face when you tell him you quit. We'll go out for dinner to celebrate tonight," I said.

Zoey smiled and gave me a quick kiss before she left for work.

I got dressed and left my condo. I had a sober meeting to go to then I was going to the gym.

When I got to the treatment facility and to the room the meeting was held in I noticed there were less people than last time. Maybe because this meeting was in the early morning or on a weekday, I didn't know.

I saw the girl from the last meeting... I couldn't remember her name.

I walked over and sat down beside her.

"Well you decided to come to another meeting," she said surprised.

"I'm trying to stick to this whole sobriety thing so yeah," I said.

"Well congrats on sticking to the sober life so far," she said.

"Why are there less people than last time?" I asked.

"There could be many reasons but the most common is the person decided they weren't quite ready for the sober life. It's a sad but true reality of an addict. I came and stopped coming to meetings like this on and off for two years before finally sticking to it. Everyone approaches the steps of sobriety differently," she explained.

"You seem to have this whole thing down," I said.

"Once you're in you're in. It's just a matter of keeping yourself accountable," she said.

The leader of the meeting stood at the front and cleared their throat to get everyone's attention.

"Welcome back old members and welcome new members," the group leader said.

I looked around seeing that no one else was joining the meeting today. There had to be like seven of us in here.

"Who would like to start by sharing their journey?" the group leader asked.

I felt a nudge from the girl beside me.

"Why not step up and tell us what brought you here," she said.

"I'm not ready," I whispered.

"When are we ever ready to step away from where we are to where we want to be?" she asked.

She did have a point. I could only sit and hide in plain sight for so long before facing my fears.

I stood up and the leader gestured for me to come to the front.