Chapter 47

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

I held my hand out as Zoey slipped her hand into mine. She stepped out of the car and I was in awe.

My girl looked gorgeous.

Zoey and I walked hand and hand into the charity gala.

I would come to this thing annually because of my parents. I usually came alone and would sip on a drink while trying not to die of boredom.

I was actually excited to be here this year. Since I had a girl I care about with me and a sober mind this should be a different experience.

When we walked in the ballroom it was packed. The room was full of the most elite.

You had everyone from lawyers, to doctors, to judges, to business moguls in here.

"I see my parents," I said.

"Well lets go say hi," Zoey said.

I moved my arm around Zoey's waist as we headed in my parents direction.

My parents were finishing up a conversation with a guy who had run for mayor.

"Hey mom and dad," I said.

"My handsome son and his lovely girlfriend," my mother smiled as she hugged me.

"You look great mom," I said.

"Thank you. I have to say Zoey you look stunning this evening," my mother complimented Zoey.

One thing I don't think Zoey knows is my family has always been intertwined with those of high society.

I grew up attending countless fundraisers and many other high profiled events.

I was use to the company of superficial judgmental high-class assholes.

"Oh look the Livingston's have shown up," my father said with distaste.

I turned around and saw Stewart walk in with his father and surprisingly his sister too.

Courtney hadn't been to a function like this in at least the last two years.

I wonder what made her dress up and tag along with her brother and father tonight?

"I'm going to go get a drink," Zoey said.

"Alright. I'll meet you over at the bar," I said.

Zoey walked off and my parents went to socialize.

I saw Courtney coming my way and decided I'd be polite but keep my distance.

"Well you clean up nice," Courtney said.

"I always do," I said.

"You're right," she said.

"I like the dress," I complimented her.

"I know red is your favorite color," she smiled flirtatiously.

"What are you doing here? I know these events aren't your scene," I said.

"Well my mother couldn't make it and a woman from the Livingston family had to be in attendance. It just certainly isn't becoming of our family if a woman can not represent the family name," Courtney said mocking her mother.

I laughed knowing her mother talked just like that.

"I take it your mother begged you to join your father and brother?" I chuckled.