Depths Of A Flame

Hi everyone! New chapter here! Once again, I hope to get these updates going a lot faster of which, of course they will. I'm always flowing with new ideas. Anyway, please enjoy this new chapter!

(Natsu and Lucy are not already dating)

Natsu carefully placed the top of the small lantern over its burning flame. However, it wasn't one that burned directly from him with the crisp smell of a bonfire, it was a flame he had successfully managed to catch from the deep depths of a darkened cave, hidden in the deep crook of Magnolia. He's heard many legends, but it was only then he had just now proved it to be a true legend.

He viewed it with admiration, a spark in his eyes as the corners of his tan lips upturned. Weirdly, he sat in the darkness of his crush's closest. It was late at night and he had supposes she was sleeping by now, after all, he got there pretty early and he heard her walk in. Now, all he needs to worry about is catching the apartment on fire and having to listen to her "Don't burn the apartment again or I'll make sure you suffer the consequences harshly" lecture.

He flinched to the sound of a creak. It was mid-night for all he know. What could she possibly be doing now? Sleep-walking? Thirsty or hungry? Cold? Can't sleep? Numerous questions filled his head as he attempted to cover up the colorful flame. Had he not mention this, this flame was specifically for Lucy, the one he loved for over a year. All this time in the midst of her closet, he has been trying to make sure it stays warm and never goes out so it could show her his undying flame of love for her. In his honest opinion, it sounded much more cheesier than one of her fantastical romance novels she and Levy read.

"Where could I hide this?!" He whispered snappily beneath his breath.

He felt the wooden floor be pressured as he swallowed a gulp burying in his throat.

Then and there, the door of the closet was broadly opened to a yawning blonde who looked down to the tired out dragon slayer.

"Natsu?" She muttered with a weary trill.

"Luce. . ?" He let out a nervous chuckle. "What are you doing up so early?" He allowed his right hand to scratch behind his pink locks.

"I. . . Couldn't sleep. It's freezing. I just wanted to get a soft jacket." She huffed with a weary eye.

"Now or never. . ."

"Can I show you something first?" He refused a stammer between the lines.

Lucy hiccuped, "N-Now? Are you insane? It's the middle of—!"

He rapidly grasped her wrist, pulled her in and quietly slammed the door to a shut. Looking down at her brunette eyes that were reflected by the small show-up of his flame.

He stammered, "I-It's small, I-I swear. I-It shouldn't b-be long a-anyway." He sighed.

Lucy took a gentle breath and nodded, "Okay."

With a breath of faith, he carefully pulled the covered lantern out of the corner of her closet and gently placed it in between their criss-crosses legs as Lucy twiddles with the furs of her long pink sweatpants in curiosity. Natsu carefully twisted the lid off to reveal the colorful flame, shadowed with the tremendous view of galaxies and stars from above just by the smallest look of it, even considering it's miniature size.

Lucy slowly leaned down to view it as her iris captured it's light. Knowing her, she would squeal and jump and be so eccentric about this situation, however, instead she laid still, her eye bright open and speechless. Natsu swallowed another gulp.

"Um, I'm sorry i-if it was a wast—"

"It's beautiful." She uttered, not looking up.

"Y-Yeah, it kinda reflects like a flashlight around the closet if you think about it." Natsu played his signature smile.

"W-Wh—Was this what you—" He cut her off.

"I was trying to keep it warm for you, which is know sounds corny. But since I don't really know what the cold feels like, I bet it's not great. So, this is for you if you ever feel cold or. . . anything like that, yeah."

The blonde creeped a small grin upon her sweet lips, just pondering over the fact that this dense dragon slayer, had a way to her after all. She finally looked up to meet his gentle onyx eyes that didn't hesitate to meet hers.

They both swallowed their gut as Lucy leaned her self up to meet his height as he lowered his tan chin down to meet hers. There, above a burning flame, they slowly pressed their palms against each other's necks and pulled closer, colliding their lips softly together and drawing in with smooth lips right above the glorious flame.

Soon enough, they began to pull away. Her, of course, flipping out over it, stating of how immature it was of her.

Natsu chuckled, "Not only are you a great kisser, but you're also a cutie when you panic!"

She flushed, "S-shut up. . ."

He rejoined, "So, do you like it?" He muttered quietly.

She met her gaze upon his once again. "Of course I do! Did you think not?! It's like seeing a whole new different galaxy! And in all one flame! Surprise you didn't eat it yet!"

"I'm glad." He shone a cheeky smile.

She yawned as she sighed, "it is getting pretty la—"

Again, he cut her off, drawing forth his arms, hugging her bare shoulders that were barely covered by her t-shirts, and pulling her in for a soft cuddle amongst his warm chest. She let out a cold, shaky breath.

"We can stay here, right? Y'know, just the two of us."

"Inside a freaking closet." She begin to laugh as he joined in.

"Well, it never had to be perfect, y'know!"

She hugged his chest, "It's perfect to me, idiot."

He scoffed as he hugged her back, "Meanie."

"Pyro."

"Weirdo!"

"Maniac!"

"Nerd!"

"Shut it before I kiss you again, flame brain!"

He looked at her with a crooked brow. He supported her spine and drew her in for a warm kiss. One oddly longer than the other one.

He parted and pecked her fair forehead. "Cutie."