Chapter 82

Finn

She leaned in to kiss me, so I leaned in as well. Suddenly, she flipped me over so she was on top of me.

"Ezzie Cakes! Can I have that kiss now?" I asked, pouting and doing puppy eyes. She leaned in a pecked my lips, which I was content with. I rolled out from underneath her, and helped her up.

"Want to finish some more of the book?" I asked, watching Ez as she nodded. I pulled the book out from under where I was going to sit down. Ez cuddled up against me, her arms wrapped around me once again. I began reading, "Chapter 3... After the movie was over it suddenly came to us that Cherry and Marcia didn't have a way to get home. Two-Bit gallantly offered to walk them home--- the west side of town was only about twenty miles away--- but they wanted to call their parents and have them come and get them. Two-Bit finally talked them into letting us drive them home in his car. I think they were still half-scared of us. They were getting over it, though, as we walked to Two-Bit's house to pick up the car. It seemed funny to me that Socs--- if these girls were any example--- were just like us. They liked the Beatles and thought Elvis Presley was out, and we thought the Beatles were rank and that Elvis was tuff, but that seemed the only difference to me. Of course greasy girls would have acted a lot tougher, but there was a basic sameness. I thought maybe it was money that separated us.

'No,' Cherry said slowly when I said this. 'It's not just money. Part of it is, but not all. You greasers have a different set of values. You're more emotional. We're sophisticated--- cool to the point of not feeling anything. Nothing is real with us. You know, sometimes I'll catch myself talking to a girl-friend, and realize I don't mean half of what I'm saying. I don't really think a beer blast on the river bottom is super-cool, but I'll rave about one to a girl-friend just to be saying something.' She smiled at me.'I never told anyone that. I think you're the first person I've ever really gotten through to'...."