John Watson (BBC) x Ghost!Reader ~ Blame

(Y/N) POV

John sat in his usual chair, his head in hands as tears stained his cheeks with his voice stuck in his throat. I stood next to him with my own tears streaming from my eyes, I couldn't do anything to comfort him; I looked down at my hands, I saw the floor through them.

"John, they aren't coming back, your tears don't help my work either." Sherlock sat in the kitchen, his science stuff stern about the table and counters. John stood abruptly, his fists clenched at his sides as he walked to his room without another word. I wiped my eyes before following after him, sitting on my desk chair by the window he had gotten for my birthday a few years ago.

"I'm sorry, (y/n)." My eyes widened, John couldn't see me but he still looked at the chair as if he could. "If I had been there and not with Sherlock then maybe-" He couldn't finish his words as they got stuck in his throat and were replaced with sobs. My own words seemed lost as I couldn't speak, I left the chair and sat next to him on the bed; John shivered a bit as I sat, his eyes not once leaving my chair.

"Don't blame yourself please, John. You'll suffer twice if you do and you may never forgive yourself or let me go. Don't be mad at Sherlock either, no one is to blame but me. I didn't listen to anyone's warnings, please-" Sherlock burst through the door, his face expressionless but I saw redness in his eyes, he had been crying too. Mrs. Hudson stood behind him holding his coat, John nodded before standing up to go with Sherlock on another case.

"John!" Without thinking, I reached out to grab his sweater sleeve, watching as my hand slipped through the sleeve. What came next scared me, tears rippled down my cheeks as a smile spread across my face happily. Maybe being stuck on this plane for all eternity wasn't going to be so bad!

"Don't worry (y/n), I'll be safe and I'll come back."