Chapter 66

Harry’s POV

The two taxis pulled up outside of the hotel, by now I had retrieved a new shirt and attempted to separate the two ‘love birds’ or at least have me set in the taxi away from them and their disgustingly cute friendship. Unfortunately, I had clearly not got to the taxis in time to have my say on where I sat and ended up with the last pick, meaning I had to sit for a good 20 minutes watching Michael and Sophie flirt, whilst Luke whined about either missing Grace, who I hadn’t actually ever shared a conversation with unless asking for the tomato ketchup counted, or that he hated paintballing even though he’d never been before.

Fucking great.

I was leant against the wall, trying to emphasise the fact that I was in no mood for being involved in Luke’s and Sophie’s pointless winging about paintballing, but I couldn’t help but focus on the strangely wide smile Sophie wore. If she was so fussed about paintballing and that she might die, why was she smiling so much?

I mean as much as I loved her smile, that fact she wasn’t smiling because of me but because of the person she had left me for made me wish that she would just stop. It was probably from that kiss earlier. I can’t even keep up with them two; her switching between me and him is infuriating. Why can’t she see that I won’t use her for the sex?

I sighed heavily, Luke’s eyes darting to me quickly before darting them back to his phone. Sophie took no notice, only her smile dropped as the vehicle pulled to a stop. For a moment, I was worried that I was causing her to frown but she assured me otherwise. 

“Please don’t make me do it. I will watch you guys have fun I really don’t mind!”

“I’ll join you” Luke quickly added.

“Come on baby it’ll be more fun with you, you can be on my team, I’ll keep you safe” I could have almost shivered or even gagged from his words.

“I’ll do it if you do it” Luke stated most likely hoping she wasn’t going to end up doing it.

“But what’s the fun in going into an arena shooting paint at people only for them to get bruises. It’s like you’re purposely trying to get hurt when there’s no point”

“You’d do a better job of protecting her by just letting her watch” I retorted, proud of my comeback. I watched as she ignored my presence and took in the surroundings.

“I’ll do it. But I swear if one of you hit me, I will eat all the cookies again.” I swear she did that on purpose, I was sticking up for her and she just threw it back in my face. I quickly removed myself from the taxi and joined the boys inside.

Once we were dressed in camouflaged overalls and set up in the arena, everyone began their mission to either escape or hit as many as possible. My mission on the other hand was to get Sophie back.

I stayed behind a boulder, eavesdropping into Michael and Sophie’s conversation, him instructing her to stay put while he checked if the coast was clear. I saw my chance to shoot at Michael and took it, I watched as he ran in the completely opposite direction of where my paint bullet had come from. When he had disappeared out of view, I set off my paint-gun in Sophie’s direction, purposely missing her. This had alarmed her and caused her to run off in the opposite direction. I saw her duck down behind a bush and jogged up by her. 

“Need a little help?” I stayed standing, pulling up my sleeves. The sight of Louis caught the corner of my eye but I stayed standing. 

“In finding Michael, yes” The sound of his gun letting out a bullet of paint, gave me enough time to time my action perfectly. 

“Watch out!” I shouted, even though she was right next to me, and stepped in front of her body, the bullet just swiping past my bare arm. I called out in pain, catching the paint off of my overalls and spreading it onto where the bullet had supposedly hit me. 

I dived to the floor, trying to miss where she was crouched, and held my arm into my stomach. It took a few moments for Sophie to realise what had just taken place. My eyes were tightly closed but I could tell she was stood up, just keeping out of view, in search of someone.

“Michael? Louis?” She called out yet got no response. Louis must’ve spotted an easier target, knowing there was no way in him catching me from his previous attempts, and so there was no one around. Perfect. Even through tightly closed eyelids, you could tell she was beginning to panic.

If this goes to plan, I actually stand a chance.