Chapter 69

- Carisma's POV -

I fluttered my eyes open and glanced about the darkness that surrounded me.

Yawning, I looked over to the old, out dated alarm clock that sat on the nightstand beside me and sighed as I read the time aloud to myself. " 4:45am. "

Looking past the alarm clock, I stared at Laura, who was asleep in the bed beside me. I felt my lips curl into a small smile as I stared at how peaceful she looked.

I laid back onto my pillow and stared up at the ceiling with a blank expression.

I stared at the ceiling for what felt like ages before feeling something wet roll down the side of my face and I quickly touched the area around my eye. 

I wiped away stray tears as I rolled onto my side to face the wall. 

I know today is Brooke's birthday and I can't see her. I rolled back over and grabbed my phone off the night stand. I punched in my pin, opened my messages and went to Brooke's. 

I quickly type out a happy birthday message and hit send, knowing she won't ever see it. For the past three years I've texted Brooke's phone on her birthday, despite her being gone and the phone lost in oblivion. I set my phone back on the night stand and rolled back over. 

I closed my eyes in attempts to fall asleep, but my efforts were futile. 

I pushed myself up and swung my legs over the side of the musty motel bed. I ran my metal hand through my messy hair before standing up and grabbing my clothes to get dressed. 

I finished getting dressed and slipped on my boots before making my way over to the front door of our small motel room. I turned the door handle as quietly as I could and the door popped open with a creak. 

" Where are you going...? " Laura's tired voice came from behind me. I turned back to face the small girl. " I just need a walk Laura. Go back to sleep, I'll be back in a little. " I whispered. " No... I wan to come. " Laura stated as she slipped out of bed and stumbled over to the dresser to grab her clothes. I opened my mouth to object, but nothing came out as I watched the green eyed girl get dressed and slip her boots on.

Laura rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes and gave me a small smile. I smiled back and we made our way out of the room and down the metal stairs to the parking lot.

Laura and I started down the sidewalk of the small town going nowhere in particular.

- Time Skip -

We've been walking for almost an hour now and haven't seen anything too exciting, just trees and closed stores.

" Why did you want to walk this late? " Laura broke the silence. " I just wanted to clear my head. I have a lot on my mind. " I explained briefly as I gazed down at my feet. " What have you been thinking about? " Laura inquired curiously as she panned her vision up at me. " I lost someone very special a few years back and today would have been her nineteenth birthday. " I answered sadly as I looked down at Laura's small frame. " How did they die? " Laura questioned and I felt a pang of pain in my chest. " She died in a war, sorta. " I briefed the emerald eyed girl. " War? Like, the army? " Laura pushed. " Not quite. We were just a team of people trying to stop a really bad man and she sacrificed herself for the greater good. " I explained, biting back tears from the painful memory. " She sounds brave. I wish I could've met her. What was her name? " Laura tucked some hair behind he ear. " Her name was - " 

" Brooke and she's not back yet. " I was cut off by a deep voice sounding behind me. " Who the hell said that?! " I hissed as I pushed Laura behind me. " You really should be nicer to the man that holds Brooke's fate. " the voice taunted. I froze in shock. " Just fuckin' show yourself! " I demanded.