Chapter 39

- Brooke's POV -

I laid in my bed, staring up at my plain ceiling as usual. I let out a bored sigh and rolled over to grab my phone off my dark, wooden nightstand. I stared at the lock screen of my phone, which was a picture of some of my closest friends. My eyes traveled to the small clock in the corner of the screen. 5:37 in the afternoon.

You have school tomorrow, it would probably help if you washed all your uniforms.

" It probably would help, wouldn't it? " I said as I sat up in my ocean of blankets.

Yeah, it probably would.

I laughed at Max and got out bed. I waltzed over to my hamper and dug out all my dirty school uniforms. I struggled to hold everything in my arms as I attempted to open my bedroom door. I succeeded in my task, but ended up falling over once I was in the hallway.

Grunting, I stood up, annoyed. I began to pick up the dirty clothes, Max Helped. Though I couldn't see him, I knew he was there. I thanked Max and made my way downstairs to wash the laundry for tomorrow.

I stumbled off the last step and noticed Carisma and Eclipse had passed out on the couch while the TV played random commercials, I heard something about a yo-yo. Chuckling under my breath, I continued to make my way over to the laundry room.

I kicked the door open with my foot and filled the washer with the dirty uniforms. Not bothering to read the amount label, I dumped in some fabric softener, started the machine and went back upstairs to my room.

I walked into my room and grabbed my messenger bag that I used for school. It was an old, brown messenger bag that I had decorated with a few pins and key chains over the years. The bag didn't look like much, but it meant a lot to me. My uncle gave it to me right before he went into the army. He died in war two years later. Along with the bag, a pin that appropriately said " awkward " was also given to me by my uncle. His name was Timothy, but we all called him Tim for short. I opened the old bag and cleaned out all the old school work. As I cleaned out the old work, I caught a glimpse of my wrist. I stared at the proxy symbol that had burned itself into my skin and sighed, I caught notice of my other wrist and saw the number that was tattooed from the S.C.P. foundation. It made me sick to my stomach thinking about that incident.

Try not to think about Brooke. You're safe for now.

Max tried to comfort me, but inevitably failed. " I do my best to block out what happened, but I'm never safe with Zalgo around or the proxy symbol branded on me. " I stated as I pulled my sleeve down to cover both the symbol and number. I wonder how I'm going to hide both the symbol and tattoo. A horrible idea popped into mind and I made my way to my bathroom.

What are you doing Brooke?

Max asked in concern, but I blocked him out. Who would've thought blocking a voice in your head could be easier then blocking a memory? Certainly not me. I rummaged through a drawer and pulled out a box that I used to collect the medical supplies I was given after all the surgeries done on my burns. I searched the box and found what I was looking for. The scalpel was still in its packaging.

BROOKE WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!

Max knocked the scalpel from my hand and I picked it back up as I continued to ignore Max as I opened the protective packaging. I rolled up my sleeve and held the scalpel just above the small tattoo.

BROOKE FUCKING STOP!

" NO! " I hissed as I began to sweat nervously. I pushed the sharp scalpel against my pale skin and let out a shaky breath. I began to slowly slide the scalpel under my skin. I screamed in agony as I continued to cut around the small tattoo. Hot tears cascaded down my face and I continued to curse. I made it all the way around the small tattoo and ripped of the small piece of skin. My wrist started to bleed profusely and I ran it under cold water. I winced at the pain and more tears ran down my face. Turning the water off, I pressed my hand to my wrist and let the blue light glow. After about five minutes, there was a scar. Just what I needed, more scars. I dried my tears with my sleeve and leaned on the bathroom counter to breath. " Max, I'm sorry. " I said quietly.

You're a damn idiot. You could have just hid it.

" Yeah, I know. I feel a lot better knowing it's not there anymore though... " I looked at the bathroom floor and saw droplets of blood.

Still Brooke.

" I'm sorry, okay? " I pushed myself off the counter and grabbed my towel to clean up the drops of blood that speckled the white tile around me. I threw the dirty towel in the hamper and picked up the bloody scalpel, its packaging, and the small bit off skin I had removed. I threw everything away and went downstairs to put the uniforms in the dryer.

- Yvanna's POV -

I untied my hoodie from around my waist and slipped it on along with my shoes. I made my way downstairs and ran into Brooke. " Hey. " Brooke said quietly. " Sup. " I greeted back. Brooke looked me up and down. " You going out? " the short girl questioned. I nodded my head in response. " Your bat is in the garage. " Brooke stated. " I don't need my bat, I'm not going to be doing anything violent. " I explained. Brooke shrugged her shoulders and continued to make her way upstairs.

I sprinted through the woods and came out on my street. I smiled to myself and made my way towards my house.

I made it to my back fence and jumped it. I landed on the wet grass and noticed on the second story, the light in my room was on. Curious, I made my way to the front of the house and I jumped up onto the hood of my dad's car. I managed to get on the small overhang the first story offered. I followed it all the way over to my window and peeked in. The curtains oddly had the been pulled back. I never pulled my curtains back. I saw my little sister laying on my bed, breathing heavily. I continued to stare at her small figure until she rolled over and caught my stare. She was hesitant, but she slowly made her way to the window. She starred down at me with her tear filled eyes. I tapped on the window and she opened it just enough for my to get my arms in, but that was as far as the window was going to go. She stuck her arms through the opening and pulled me to the glass, in a hug. I hugged back as best as I could considering the window. My little sister pulled away and went to open her mouth to say something, when she caught something behind me. I looked behind me and saw a white mask and yellow hoodie from the tree line, I recognized it to be Masky and Hoodie. I was about to turn back to my little sister until I saw Toby jump down from a tree. My heart ached and I gave them a small wave before turning back to my sister. I dried my sisters tears with my sleeve and put my hand on her cheek. " I'm okay, don't worry. " I whispered through the glass." I've got to go. Don't tell anyone you met with me. I love you. " I said before I turned to leave.

When I jumped down, I saw that the proxy trio had left and my heart hurt. I made my way to the spot they were standing and stopped. They were gone. I hung my head and felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I knew who it was and spun around to hug back. Toby ticked. " I - I miss you. " Toby stuttered. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Masky and Hoodie perched in a tree. I didn't care that they watched me. Toby pulled away from the hug and I gave him a weak smile. " W - we all will b - be by later th - this week. " Toby stated. My smile got bigger and I felt my heart be lifted. Toby began waking the direction I had to go so I followed.

We made it to the tree where Masky and Hoodie were and I looked up at them. They jumped down and we said our goodbyes.

I walked inside, tired, but happy. I made it to my room and changed into my pajamas. I curled up in bed with a small smile and drifted off to sleep.