♛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₁

APRIL 2018

Anahi Santiago

Anahi Santiago

"Nayeli! Com'on, our flight is taking off in 3 hours!" I called out to my 22 year old sister, as i counted the 2 luggage bags, and my carryon bag. I didn't plan on taking most of our belongings, we didn't need the extra baggage. Just enough clothes to last the first couple of months in Miami. Our father has a house out there that we didn't even know about, but in his will he granted it to me and my sister.

"I'm coming! You act like we're gonna miss our flight." Nayeli came down the hall, rolling her bags in tow. I rolled my eyes, she had no idea what it's like.

"We have to at least be 2 hours early, check our bags in, go through TSA, all that." I chuckled as her face dropped. "We're gonna be fine, you know I got you Neli." I smiled, looking around our home one last time.

This was where I spent half of my childhood, and now it was finally goodbye. It was a bittersweet moment, but wasn't shit out here for me and my sister in Houston. Our 'family' stopped checking in on us a couple months after my fathers passing, which was 7 months ago. It's just fucked up, but I'm not the type of person to kiss someone's ass, family or not, it's a done deal. It's not like they'll be looking for us anyway, they don't even know, and I plan on keeping it that way. Nayeli and I already changed our numbers so that was already a step.

"Imma miss it here...but then again, I'm happy with the move sissy." Nayeli's voice broke me from my thoughts, I nodded my head agreeing with her.

"Same sis, same. So much growth for us both." I smiled at her, as we walked out the house and to the uber. We had our cars taken to Miami, so they're just waiting for us.

————-
Miami International Airport - 4:54 PM

Snotty ass kids, sick ass people in general, and I was utterly through. I just wanted to take a shower and wash the germs away.

"Fix your face." Nayeli snorted, nudging my arm as we made our way to baggage claim.

"No one has time to be getting sick, okurrrr!" I laughed, shaking my head. Walking through the crowd, finally reaching the terminal of where our suitcases were. Noticing our plum and grey bags, we reached for them and grabbed, soon making our way out and to the cab area.

"Address?" The driver asked as he got into the cab after helping us with putting our stuff into the trunk.

"48900 Bahia Ct." I told him, buckling up. He nodded and soon drove out the semi packed lot, his tunes playing.

I just looked out the window, reflecting. I'm 25 years old, and lost my last parent. Shit was really a tough pill to swallow, because I won't really have their guidance or soothing words anymore. My mother passed away when i was 14 years old, and that's what made us move from Los Angeles to Houston, causing our father to lose it from there. His addiction to heroine, shit was scary to witness.