58

Shawn's POV

A couple of hours later, my father taps me on the shoulder. Charlie glances at me but does not say anything. My father and I head to the dock by the small lake. I know it took a lot of courage for my father to just show up at my wedding but, he stood his ground. 

I do not have hope that my mom will ever come around.

And that I am completely okay with.

As long as I have at least one member of my family in my corner. Now, Miracle will get to know her grandfather. She would not have to ask a lot of questions as to why my parents are not in her life. She deserves better than that. 

"You gave Charlie your grandfather's ring?" My father asks and we across from each other. The sun is halfway in the sky. And there are no clouds in sight, but a slight breeze looms. A few ducks are out on the lake. 

"Yes," I nod my head. 

"You know that meant a lot to him. Your grandmother gave that to him because he was the only man that she ever truly loved," My father states seriously. 

"And Charlie is the only man that I truly love, and I do not plan on leaving him unless it is through death. I meant my vows dad. You have to understand that your son married another man. You have to understand this is not some phase that I am going through," I reply honestly. 

I want the words to sink in. 

He needs to realize this is my life now. 

This is my family.

Miracle is the next generation of the Mendes family. 

"Shawn I am more proud of you than I have ever been. You married for love. And that means the world to me. I could care less what anyone else thinks. You are not less of a man in my eyes. You are actually more.

I apologize for all my harsh words. About never being able to accept you. But you opened my eyes to the world. Now, I have a beautiful granddaughter," He replies then pulls me into a hug. He lets go after a few moments. There are tears in our eyes.

Charlie comes over with Miracle. She crying so hard. I reach for her, and Charlie places her in my arms. Charlie does not say anything to my father. I am probably sure he does not know what to say anyway.

"Can I hold her?" My father speaks softly. 

"Sure," I nod my head and carefully hand over Miracle to him. He takes her glancing down. She does not cry anymore. After a few moments, Charlie tugs on my sleeve, and I take back our daughter. 

"Shawn we got to catch a plane to California," Charlie informs. He feels bad for ruining the moment. 

"Why?" Manny questions. 

"A rapper that Charlie produced an album for up for Grammys. So we have to go there," 

"Congrats Charlie!" My father proclaims. 

"Thanks," Charlie replies.