12

"Charlie we need to have a conversation-," My dad begins and then his eyes slide other to Shawn and back to me. "Outside right now."

"What the hell?!" I question enraged. "I am a grown man dad anything you have to say you can say out in the open."

"I just do not want to hurt anyone's feelings," He says in a low tone.

"I can just go if you two need to talk," Shawn offers, and his hand reaches for the door. And my hand goes for his. I shake my head. Anything my dad wants to say then he can say it in front of Shawn. 

"What do you mean you are in a relationship with Shawn?" My dad demands not even trying to hide his anger. His arms are cross across his chest, while both his eyebrows knitted together. They sort of resemble an Angry bird's eyebrow. 

"When two people who love each other decide they want to be together they agree to be in a relationship," I reply. My hand goes inside of Shawn's. Shawn's face is as white as ghost, he never liked confrontations. 

"I know what a definition of a relationship means. I am just saying you could do better than Shawn. What about the nice son of your mom's friend. Then one that just graduated from medical school? Charlie, he would take care of you, and not be your charity case."

"For Christ's sake, I am not interested in that guy. I have no idea why you and mom keep pushing me to date him. I like Shawn and he is not my charity case. In fact, dad if you feel so ill of him why don't you just leave?"

"I do not feel ill of Shawn. It is just he is not going anywhere in life Charlie. His parents' pay all of his bills, and he cannot keep a stable job. Whenever he gets kicked out a place you always welcome him with open arms. He does not really love you, Charlie. He loves what you can provide."

"That is not true!" Shawn exclaims. "He is everything to me and I could care less about his money!"

"Really Shawn? And why are you all sudden interested in men?" My dad demands. 

"Dad I am not going to have you insulting Shawn this way! There is an exit so please feel free to leave!"

"Charlie, look I do not hate either one of you. I just want what is best for you. You were always my favorite child. And you had some type of ambition about you that got you where you are today. I just know in this business a lot of people do not see the real you, just your money."

"And I am not a golddigger," Shawn defends himself. "All these years Charlie has always been there with me. Whenever he wanted to leave for Los Angeles. I gave up everything to follow him there so he would not be alone. I would never do anything to hurt him. It took me many years to admit what I was so afraid to tell myself. That I have always loved Charlie and that is the gospel truth."