40

Shawn's POV

Two weeks have passed since my last doctor's appointment. Charlie keeps telling me we should go to the support group. Naturally, I am having second thoughts, we would be surrounded by strangers telling their stories. Would I be able to handle that?  Could I get that exposed?

On the other hand, there are other guys that are going through or experienced a mpreg. Every day that word gets stranger yet familiar. Because now it applies to me. It is not just a just a word that I am using to beat a level of words with friends. 

I am taking my sweet ass time because for fuck's sake I am nervous. Charlie teases my dark brown hair with a comb. Knowing that I love to look like some tormented emo poster rocker. And Lord knows that even I want to get in a dark room and cry sometimes.

"You are purposely stalling," Charlie teases me as he puts the comb down. Happy with the high coiffe that is now my hair. He sprays so much hairspray that the ooze layer probably has a mental note of his name for the enemies' list. 

"Purposely stalling? That is some white boy shit for sure," I remark then roll my eyes.

"Um, Shawn we are white," Charlie remarks then tap my ass. Lately, Charlie has been wanting to have sex so often. However, I digress because the act of sex when pregnant is not the idea. My body is so tired from working all the time. 

"I know," I state then throw a sock at his face. He laughs before he tickles my ribs and I nearly fall over but he catches me. Charlie puts me back up, and we finish getting ready. Once we are done we head out of the apartment.

Charlie puts in the address on Google maps. We have decided to walk to the meeting place. It three blocks away. At first, I did not think it was right because it appears to be in an abandoned club. But we walk around again to make sure. And yup, this is the definitely the place. 

I take a deep breath as Charlie and I enter inside the club. God, I hope we are not the only gay couple here. I am already second guessing my outfit. A yellow polo shirt, with baggy jeans. It is one of the few things that is fitting me anymore. Charlie keeps promising to buy me more clothes. 

And all my money is going to maintain the monthly bills. Living in New York City is extremely expensive. Charlie's family has been doing their all to give us things for our daughter and dropping off casseroles that we can freeze and heat up later. Charlie is trying to produce and write for other artists but with limited money for studio space, it is hard. 

Inside the abandoned club it is brightly lit and on the bar is a lot of food and drinks. The walls are littered with old posters of musicians that performed there. In the dancefloor of the club is a circle or chairs. Some music comes through on the speakers mostly old nineties dance music. 

A guy with a bright sweater of dancing penguins and neatly, ironed pressed black slacks makes his way over to us. Charlie is so busy stuffing his manpurse with food and a couple of the sodas that he does not notice. The penguin sweater guy lets out a little laugh. 

"Starving artist suffering for art?" 

"Yeah, you can say that," Charlie replies. "Sorry for stealing the food man it has been rough for us."

"No judgments," The guy replies then pats Charlie on the back. 

"This is the place for "The Expecting Fathers' Club right?" I ask to make sure. Because if this was not. This would be awkward. 

"Yes, some of us are late because of work but, they will be here soon. We are small but, close."

"Have you been pregnant?" Charlie blurts out the question without thinking. I want to smack him upside the head for being so foolish. And I actually do. 

"Ouch! Shawn! I was not trying to be insensitive!" Charlie defends himself then rubs the back of his head. The penguin sweater guy just chuckles running his hands through his ginger hair. 

"It is quite alright and yes I was pregnant I had my baby three years ago. Dr. Friday she was the first doctor that would actually accept intersex men as patients. Other doctors in New York City treated us as sideshow freaks."

"See, I told you, Charlie," I nag at him. 

"Damn stop thinking you are a sideshow freak, Shawn. It's not amusing," Charlie states. 

"Let me guess you two are together?"

"Yeah," Charlie responds honestly. 

"Are you married or with someone?" I question not meaning to get deeply personal. It is just some ache inside of me. To realize that I am not alone in the world. 

"I am married yes, my wife will be here soon. I should introduce myself I am Ed Sheeran," Ed replies also smiles.

"Hold on, you are married to a woman? How on earth did you manage to get pregnant then?" Charlie questions with a confused expression.

"Charlie! Shit! Mind your manners!" 

"I am just saying it is a complicated mess Shawn and I am already emotionally invested," Charlie remarks seriously. It is times like these I am just staring at him because I have no idea what to say to him. And on the other hand, I admire how he just always asked question shamelessly. 

"It is quite alright. I was with a man for a bit, and well he left me. I was already seeing my future wife at the time I discovered I was pregnant. She did not care and supported me. She joked now she does not have to the one carrying around children."

"When you find your soulmate you just know. It goes from zero to hundred," Charlie states then pop open a soda and drinks it. A few other men file in and suddenly I do not feel alone anymore.