30

Shawn's POV

IT HURTS! 

It is like I am going to a black hole of nothingness. She actually told me that I was dead to her. The woman that spent nine months bringing me into this world. Now, she wants nothing to do with me because of my sexuality. The baby is now going to grow up without knowing my family. And honestly, that stings so bad.

I understand the way my dad reacted. I really would expect anything different from him. And whenever my mom had no idea that I was gay. I guess my father truly disowned me to the point he actually could not bring himself to tell my mother. 

"Excuse my New Jersey French but fuck them all!" Deb exclaims hotly. "Shawn she is a blind idiot and you do not need them!"

"But she is my mom she is supposed to love and support me no matter what," I state sadly. Even voicing those words out loud is painful. How could a mom be that cruel? I mentally make a promise to little Sharlie alien that I would never turn my back on it. No matter what I never want Sharlie alien to experience this type of pain. 

"She is not a mother if she cannot look at you and accept you for who you are Shawn. And if she had any common sense she would have gotten off that damn high horse. I am serious you do not need them she thought the only way she could accept and stand by her son if he was straight."

"Did you love Charlie whenever he came out as bisexual?" 

"Of course he is my son, and him being happy is my life's goal. It is my job as a mother to accept and love my children. Charlie being bisexual did not change the plotline for me," Deb replies genuinely. 

"You sound like you are editing a book again," Charlie teases her. A light moment to break the eerie dark cloud that surrounds us all. But still, I will never recover from this. My family thinks it is better for me to be dead than gay. My brain is even refusing to accept that because it is idiotic. But then again here I am sitting in the middle of the storm unprepared, longing for a lifeline. 

"Life is a nothing but a big drama Charlie. You got to learn what navigate whatever comes your way," Deb responds and glances at him. She is a woke woman and she understands. Why could my mother not be like this? Why did my mom disappoint me? Why did my mom say her hateful words and cut me out of her life? 

I never understand. 

It hurts so bad.

This pain. The emotions. The feelings, and everything.

Charlie will always have his family no matter what. And now I will only have the family that we create. What if Charlie and I break up? Then I will be a single parent with nowhere to go. A lost abandoned puppy that is running around in a storm. 

Although I am not wishing this on my relationship and upcoming marriage. People can and do break up. Charlie gets in the hospital bed with me again. His head snuggles against my warm chest. My finger traces his crooked eyebrow, Deb gets out her phone to take a picture and sends it. 

"Charles is going to be so ecstatic to get this!" She quips. "This is cuteness overload. My heart is going to rupture any moment."

"That last part was a bit morbid," Charlie remarks. 

"Shawn, I know it feels like everything is tumbling around you. But, just remember you have us okay? And pretty soon you will have a child of your own. The darkness now seems unbearable but there is light, and it is here."

I know she is right. But the pain is so real. All I can do is cry inside of Charlie's arms. The nurse comes in and gets my vitals again. And talks to me about follow up care the same instructions that doctor previous gave me.

"And these baby delivering doctors are they any good? Because I only want the best for my grandkid," Deb informs her. 

"Well, they are the top three in California and patients really love them. Shawn will get all the information he needs whenever he gets discharged tomorrow."

"No missy you are going to give me the names and addresses of these doctors right now. I am going to determine if they are an amount of great," Deb replies and holds out her hand. The nurse is so frightened by her, that she writes down the information, and gives it to her. Deb then ushers out of the room.

"These poor doctors have no idea what they are in store for," Charlie replies then chuckles. We settle in and then we watch a bit of mindless television. Once dinner arrives he feds me and then goes to the cafeteria to get something for himself. An hour later he comes back later and is talking on the phone with someone. I have no idea who and once he finishes he comes back by my bedside.

"Sorry baby I got to get to the studio. Apparently, Alison is throwing a fit about one of the verses of the song. Deb will be here soon."