Chapter Thirty: Exits & Entrances

Start from the beginning

            “Does this mean we win?” I whispered in Rebecca’s ear.

            She nodded, a grin spread across her face.

            “Nu-uh!” I said, and directed my attention back to the judge.

            “Ryan is guilty. Miss Mandy Hawthorne wins. Case closed,” the judge exclaimed.

            “Come here, big girl,” dad said to me, just like when I was little. He used to always say that whenever I accomplished something; like winning a softball game or selling all my boxes of girl scout cookies.

            “I knew he was a rapist,” John hugged me tightly.

            “I know, he sucks,” I pulled away and turned to Rebecca. “Sorry your work was for nothing.”

            “It’s no big deal,” she started, “if it hadn’t been for Paul then we would’ve had to work our asses off.”

            She was right. “I should probably go thank him,” I ran over to Paul, who was about to exit the courthouse.

            “Hey,” I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around. “Thank you for what you did.”

            “It’s good to know I could help someone out. If anyone, you. You’ve been through a lot, Hawthorne,” he stated.

            We hugged and I looked back up at him. “Seriously, it takes a lot of guts to bring that in considering you and Ryan are friends.”

            “Were friends,” he stared at the ground.

            “I’m sorry.”

            “No, no, it’s alright. At least now I know who he really is.”

            “Maybe he’ll change,” I said even though both of us knew that wasn’t going to happen any time soon.

            “Yeah. Well it was good seeing you,” he patted me on the shoulder and headed out the door.

            Suddenly, a pair of strong arms circled around my waist. “Hey,” Adam’s voice whispered in my ear.

            “You scared me!” I exclaimed, turning back around so I could face him.

            “You happy?” he asked.

            “Very,” I answered.

            “Good, ‘cause I can tell,” he grinned. “What are they gonna do with Ryan?”

            I shrugged and said, “Probably send him off to some juvenile detention center for all I know or maybe they’ll let him off easy with picking up trash off the side of the road. Either way, I don’t care, I won!” I leaped into his arms and let him hold me.

            “You’re incredibly strong, Mandy. Stronger than any girl I’ve ever met,” he whispered in my ear.

            “Thank you,” I replied and gave him a kiss.

            “Are you hungry?” he asked me.

            “Yes and I would never say no to food anyhow,” I smiled. “Dad, do you wanna-“ I pointed to the door.

            “You kids go ahead,” he waved it off, “me and John will get some bonding time,” he pulled John closer to him in a bear hug.

            “Dad-“ John pleaded. It was funny; just like old times when he was younger.

            “See you at home,” I waved and we stepped outside. “It’s raining,” I realized standing under the covered area.

            “Yes, it is,” Adam put his hands in his pocket and looked up at me innocently.

            “You know what I’ve always wanted to do?” I questioned.

            “What?”

            “This,” I slipped off my Toms and ran straight into the rain and started to do probably the most embarrassing dance moves of my entire life.

            “Are you nuts?!” he shouted over the pouring rain.

            “Just a little,” I flipped my wet hair over my shoulder, acting like a supermodel. “Since when do we get rain in Arizona, anyway?” I twirled around. “Come on,” I motioned him over.

            He set down my shoes, took off his and ran after me.

            “You’ll never catch me!” I cried.

            “That’s what they all say,” he replied.

            “I don’t think-“ I stumbled over a rock before I could finish my sentence, and fell straight on my butt.

            “Nice landing,” he said in between laughs.

            “Hey!” I reached out and slapped him on the leg. “This is the part where you’re supposed to help me up.”

            “Right, right,” he managed to stop laughing, and I didn’t blame him for it in the first place. I’m sure it was quite entertaining seeing my uncoordinated, clumsy self falling in the wet grass. He helped me to my feet and we started towards his car.

            “That was insane!” I exclaimed as soon as we got in the car. It was raining even harder, and we had to practically yell just so we could hear each other.

            “I know, I can’t believe we did that!” his eyes glittered with delight.

            “I’m freezing!” I shivered, rubbing my hands together, attempting to warm myself.

            “Here,” he reached in the backseat, handed me a blanket, and turned on the heating inside the car.

            I took it thankfully and stared at the American Red Cross logo on it for a long time. “Where’d you get these blankets?” I finally asked.

            “Oh, that one was left over from the hospital. I volunteered there earlier this week and they gave me those extras,” he explained, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

            I nodded and didn’t say anything. The fact that he volunteered at this hospital was cute enough. I mean, how many guys volunteer at hospitals anyway? Surely not enough.

            The rain finally cleared up and I wiped the condensation from the window. We were driving in the middle of the desert. “Where are we going?”

            “Wherever the yellow brick road takes us,” he answered.

            I smiled at his Wizard of the Oz reference and leaned back in my seat and said, “Adventure awaits.” Now, this was living.