Chapter 71 - Day Five

Day Five

In a normal world, everything would've been falling right into place.

The girl's center of balance was still off, but it would do for now. She was able to stand with help from two others and a walker in the later hours of the morning; simple progress that would've been extraordinary if it wasn't for the time crunch she was under.

Two days.

Standing with the help from others wasn't enough at this point.

She refuses to go near wheelchairs, and that leaves the only other option to be standing with some form of stationary help for her trial. No other person would be allowed to help her stand during the duration of the interrogation.

Everyone hopes that answers await them after this trial. No one expects there to be any trouble.

No one expects the girl to be able to defy truth serum.

+    +    +

"I don't understand, Josh. Why is my girlfriend being considered a fugitive?" Four sighs, running his hand through his hair. His dog sits beside him, curiously sniffing the floor in the man's office.

"West has her labeled as an unknown fugitive, also as a refugee. He along with leaders from Amity and Abnegation agreed on these terms for everyone that was rescued from the building, giving them the majority over both Erudite and us."

"But why was it not such a big deal for them?"

"They're trials were held almost instantly after the decision of that title was made, for they were, generally speaking, mostly recovered by that point. Tris, however, was in the MIU at that point, so she was denied any title as a fugitive, for she couldn't be legally tried."

Four sighs, knowing that there's nothing he can do, for everyone else that was rescued had the same situation.

"So he's not treating Tris more cruel than the rest?"

"Directly, no. But dragging out that he has one surely is making it a hell for people like you that care about her. Of course, I mean, I care too, it's just that I don't know her on a personal level. I think it's ridiculous that he's basically rubbing it in people's faces that he gets to trial her, just like he did everyone else. It's so unprofessional; not like a leader should be."

Four nods.

"So, what happens after the trial?" Four rests his elbows on his knees, his chin resting on his hands.

"Worst case scenario, she's found guilty for working among those in the building. Then, I assume she will be put in an Erudite cell, and then she is in the fate of the leaders. Probably more trials will be done, and decisions will be made from there."

"Sure as hell she wasn't working with those people." Four remarks. "They nearly killed her!"

"Then she will be proven innocent just like the rest that were tried. Her treatment will resume until she is healed, and her life will move on."

There's an odd moment of silence between the two, and Four can tell by the look on Josh's face he has more to say but is hesitating.

"What about her genetically pure divergence?" Four asks.

"What about it?"

"I don't know... Will West give her issues if she is proven innocent, saying that she defied the serum?"

"Let's hope he hasn't caught on to that."

+    +    +

"Look. I need a home, and you need something to have against that girl's testimony."

"How could you help me?" The leader asks.

"I've known the girl for a while. She took my first place spot in Dauntless initiation years ago for dating her instructor. The Abnegation born girl is a backstabbing liar who will never tell the truth.

"How does this help me?"

"I'm sorry to bother you, leader, sir, but I must get going for I have places to go, and people to see since I have returned."

The leader is silent.

"Just think about it. She's going to be proven innocent. What difference does it make to you? Maybe you'll be able to banish her from the city if you discover her guilt. I have a lead that can get you what you need.

"Tell me."

"I must get going now, for you have taken too much of my time."

"Could I at least get your name?"

"Peter. Peter Hayes."