Prologue

Learning to Trust

Sequel to The Truth After Allegiant

Book Two

Prologue

Third Person

She hides her face in his chest and clings to his shirt with her shaking bruised fingers as she's rushed into the Erudite hospital in his arms.

She had been in a building of torture for around three years, beaten to the point where she's closer to death alive. Everyone was glad that she survived the long ride from Louisville to Chicago during the rescue when groups 1236 and few people from 2836 ambushed the building.

She almost didn't make it out.

They almost left because they couldn't find her.

1236 had left because their cars were filled with over ninety five people that have been saved; not all were from Chicago they believe, but they were not going to keep them there for the aftershock of all of this.

2836 was just about to leave the building, being the group to re-scan the building for people like her; people they hid.

Walking down another hall of cells, they were confused because David had to be here somewhere. They had even found his computer they had hacked months earlier and sent it back with 1236. They just couldn't find him; but they couldn't find her either.

It was more than a coincidence that only those two were missing, and the two people that stayed back knew that.

The only reason that they only left two people to search was because the rest of 2836 back in the Erudite Technology Room was pretty sure it was just about empty, or else it was nothing they couldn't handle. Plus, they were two dauntless members from 2836; Four and Amar.

They went down hallways of cells, hallway after hallway and banged open some smaller rooms on the ends of halls or hiding under some of the small staircases.

There was a pretty good size stain of dried blood at the bottom of a staircase, and it traveled in smaller little random dots from up the stairs.

"It looks as if someone has fallen down them." Amar says, his voice clearly uneasy.

"Knowing this place, someone was probably pushed down them." Four says in almost the same tone.

They went up the staircase to reveal a hallway of closed doors, most of which contained nothing, but the one contained three still very dark, but dried blood stains on the cement floor.

Another room contained a bunch of shackles which were chained to walls and support beams throughout the room. A few of them had pieces of paper taped overtop of them.

"Come here." Amar says waving Four over to a shackled support beam on the far side of the room.

It says:

Beatrice Prior

Chicago Experiment

Female

19 years old  (here for 2.5)

Doesn't talk

Aim for left leg

Four is left speechless.

"She has to be here somewhere." Amar says almost to the point of being annoyed. He really just doesn't understand where the heck she is, they've checked just about everywhere.