Chapter 60 - Investigation

Tobias

It's been two weeks.

No information has been released about New York to the public.

They have been searching other people saved from the building, but none have had that emblem on them.

It just doesn't make sense.

How has she heard about this place?

"Four?" Josh brings my mind back to reality where I sit at a long table with Josh and all of the minor Dauntless leaders like myself.

My head snaps up when I hear my name, and I sigh. "Sorry, long night."

I came back this morning from Erudite. I had sat with Tris for a while since she was shook over something. Dr. Scott thinks it could be the environment change from the MIU to the regular part of the Erudite hospital.

"It just seems like we're missing a whole chunk of information somewhere. The girl, Beatrice Prior, is gone for almost four years, then comes back, blind, considered mentally insane, and knows of the city New York. There's just something that we're missing." Josh states in confusion.

"She has the emblem of New York branded into her palm, and at one point in her calf. She obviously has some kind of memory loss, but she remembers this city that just about no one in Chicago knows about. It seems like she is the only one that has answers, but she is unable to talk, or coordinate her hands to write. That's another part we are missing information on: this drug she was given to make her like this. All of the samples Erudite was working on for her sake were confiscated when West found about the IB, and now we have no information because she can't heal."

"Isn't there another way to get information out of her?" One of the female minor leaders asks.

"I don't think so. David was smart when giving her this drug and doing it to her. He didn't seem to leave many open options for us, which is what he wanted. He wanted us to scramble and looks for a way, but he closed off every entrance." I reply.

"On a side note, I've received word from West in Candor that just like all of the other refugees, as he called them, Beatrice is to be put under trial for information as soon as she has been released from the hospital."

"So the second the girl is sane, he's going to rip her sanity from her under truth serum instead of her just telling us?" One of the male minor leaders says in an irritated tone. "You've got to be kidding. A move like that could put her back in the MIU."

"That's what I'm afraid of." Josh says and I feel as if I am not even present in the room.

"What about allowing her back to the Dauntless compound even? Isn't there like rules in place now over getting into a faction without doing the initiation for the faction within the past three years?" One female voice peeps up.

I completely forgot about that.

Will Tris ever even be allowed back into the compound?

"She was first in her class, what, five years ago?" Someone says.

"But she was first. Shouldn't she just be allowed back?" Another person says.

"She should have to take initiation over again. Those are the new rules, and no one should be an exception." Someone else says.