Chapter 15 - Extraordinary Tris Prior

Tobias

I sit for probably a hour in the waiting room watching some Erudite nurses and doctors decorate for the upcoming holiday. Holidays are now more universal for all of the Factions, not just Amity. There was already an evergreen tree with blue shiny ornaments up when I first arrived, but now they are putting up green garland and wreaths on the doors. I've figured out over the past few years the holiday is called Christmas, and it happens in December. There is also many other holidays that are celebrated around the same time and were much more popular back in the twentieth century and earlier, but now it seems like Christmas is the only one that has stuck around.

I think about getting up and helping them decorate, but then I recognize Tris's doctor walk in.

She smiles at me and I acknowledge her by smiling back and walking towards her.

"I never did get your name."

"Four."

"I'm Doctor Marie Scott. Nice to finally actually meet you, Four." She puts her hand out for me to shake which I do.

I follow her down to an office with her name on the door. I follow her in and she sits behind an oak desk. "Please, have a seat." She says motioning to the chairs opposite her on the desk.

"I assume that you were in some kind of relationship with Beatrice Prior before all of this." She says it as a statement, but she looks at me with questioning in her facial expression.

"Yes."

"She's very comfortable around you compared to most people, that is very good for her condition. I'm nervous of her getting heart problems from her heart rate being so high. She's paranoid and completely stressed, making there almost no possible way to calm her down. She calmed down with the sound of your voice. So like I said, that's very good."

I nod.

"How's her leg? Do you think it will eventually heal?" I ask preparing myself for the worst.

She stops and thinks for a minute. "The problem is is that I really cannot answer that. You see, Four, we stitched up everything we could, but because of all of the muscle damage there really is no way of knowing if it will ever heal correctly. We have done all we can for now and put a good, sturdy cast on it so now only time will tell."

I nod again.

"By the way she has been acting, I think that she may have some kind of concussion. I'd like to do a scan of her head to see what's going on and what's wrong. But the problem I have is that she'd have to stay still through the whole process, but she would probably freak out during it. I would have to knock her out again, but the process of knocking her out is pretty stressful for her."

"Isn't it just an IV medication?" I ask.

"Not for genetically pure divergents like her. In order for the IV to work on someone like her, they have to be absolutely stress free and extremely calm. She isn't even close to either of those requirements, therefore, the IV doesn't work. We have figured out a way to knock people like her out though, but it isn't a very easy process for the person it is being done to. We have this spray that we use. It is similar to pepper spray, but it is different. We spray it on the person's face until they either pass out or the liter of it is gone, which then they are bound to pass out any second from it. The spray burns, like, a lot. The person coughs and basically gags on it until eventually they pass out and are under for five to eight hours.  We had to use that process on Beatrice to knock her out when she first got here and we rushed her to surgery after her tests came back. You probably heard her scream; I'm sure most of this section of the hospital and then some did because the door didn't close all of the way. I really hate doing it to people because of how harsh and terrible it is.they do have medications for people like her outside of Chicago because of their technical and medical advancement being much better than ours, but sadly we have yet to get any of that medication here."