Chapter 21 - Maybe I Can

Third Person

"Four. It's been five days. Why don't you go back to your faction. I can give you a call and have a car already heading for you right when she wakes up." Dr. Scott tells Four. She brought him to her office a few minutes earlier just to tell him that.

Four doesn't answer.

He knows that.

He knows that he should go back to dauntless.

The average person would've already given up hope on her, but this is Tris. Beatrice Prior just doesn't give up like that.

"There's a leader meeting coming upon an investigation for all of this tomorrow. I heard about it in the cafeteria downstairs. It's at Dauntless. I remember you mentioning that you're a leader. You should go to it." She says.

"I know." Four snaps but then changes his tone immediately. "I just can't imagine not being here when she wakes up. Even if I won't be able to see her right then, and I'm sure I won't, I just can't not be here for her."

"Then go for her. Go to the meeting, for her sake. Go and push for them to investigate the building; to figure out what happened to her in there so we can help her heal better. Go to the meeting for her sake."

Four is silent.

"Like I mentioned earlier. I can call you the second she wakes up, and I'm sure I could get a car over to Dauntless to pick you up and bring you here. It wouldn't be too much of a fuss."

"No. When she wakes up, just attend to her. Don't go getting cars for me or calling me. Just worry about her. Once you can though, please do call me if she wakes up. I'd really appreciate it. I'll get a train over, I'll make it here. Just attend to her, then let me know. I don't even care if it's hours after she wakes up. Just let me know eventually." Four says writing his phone number down on a piece of paper.

"Of course. I will do just that."

"Can I just ask you one question?" Four asks.

She nods.

"What are her chances of waking up?"

"I... I wish I knew." Dr. Scott says looking down at her desk. "Like you said, she's strong. I hope she can pull herself out of this one. She could wake up tomorrow, next week, next month, or even longer. Right now she is just unconscious, so it will be sooner than later if she stays in this state. If she slips into a coma, well, who knows how long it could be."

Four's mind flashes back to when Uriah was in a coma on life support in the Bureau.

The only difference was that he wasn't actually dying.

It just took them four years later to figure that out...

If that happened to Tris over the next few days... She would be actually dying.

"Trust me. She's in good hands. We are watching her every second. Plus, she still has brain waves, very strong ones too, so the chances of her slipping into a coma are less likely, but not impossible."

"Is there any way I could see her before I leave?" He asks.

"I think you may be able to. She seems somewhat more stable today than she was a few days ago. Her parents were let in to see her this afternoon, and I'm not sure if they'll still be there."

Four and Dr. Scott walk down the halls of the Erudite hospital. They walk over a sign that says ICU Wing. Four follows Dr. Scott down the halls until they stop outside of one of the doors.