Chapter 52 - Can She Hear?

Tobias

I sit on the ground next to the small mattress where she lays. I hold one of her small, limb, bony hands in mine lightly.

She shivers, her hand in mine freezing.

I wish she would let me hold her in my arms; let me warm her up.

She's just so skittish since the confrontation with West. It's enough that she's letting me hold her hand.

Following the first couple hours after the incident with West, her heart had stopped once for a matter of seconds. She was then unconscious for five hours, but only completely stable for three of those five.

They didn't move her from the MIU though. Because of regards from her papers, they brought the necessary equipment they needed for her to her room.

I'm not so sure if that's a good thing or not though. I mean, moving her from her room could've and probably would have upset her twice as much; but the risk of taking the time to bring the equipment to her, and the risk of forgetting stuff is a little nerve wrecking.

She then woke up at three in the morning, completely upset by everything and so thrown off. They called me on my phone and asked that I come and sit with her, at least in attempt to calm her a little.

And then we are here.

They managed to watch her yesterday and categorized her into the PTSD and mild-end of the insane category.

I freaked when they first told me that, but they continue to reassure me that they put all people that are so skittish and on-edge like her in that place.

I still don't believe them.

I want to, but I don't.

They're just saying that to make me feel better.

Now, they are going to start the process of pulling her out of those categories.

I guess, to my understanding, that is how this MIU area thing works.

Whatever.

She has a small blanket they've given her, but she has basically rejected it. They said maybe it's something with how it feels or looks that makes her not want it.

Again, it sounds like they are referring her to an animal not taking medication or a fish not taking a water change well.

It sickens me.

They kept the blanket in the room though; thinking that if she is cold, she will take the blanket.

Plus, it's all they have to offer.

She rolls over lightly to look towards me, her eyes not nearly meeting mine. She just looks in my general direction.

Does she not want to look at me?

Is she scared of me?

"Tris." I say her name lightly. "Please, just say something. I'm worried about you. Why aren't you speaking? I'm right here, and even when I leave I never am far. No one will hurt you, I promise. West is being handled, and I will never let him near you like that ever again. I am so sorry. Please, just look at me Tris. Say something." I plead.

Her eyes still don't meet mine. I look behind me, at the wall where her eyes lay their gaze.

"There's nothing there other than the wall, Tris. What are you looking at?" I try to not sound frustrated, but I'm just so upset.

She blinks hard, opening her mouth and sighing harshly. The heart monitor spikes, but not so high that it's dangerous.

She's frustrated too.

"Tris. I just want you to get better. I want to help you. You're acting like you can't even hear me."

She shivers from the chill of the drafty room, the heart monitor staying at the constant, newly frustrated rate.

I look at the clock on my phone and see that it now is eight in the morning. I have to work at the Main Building back home at ten, and then maybe will return after work to sit with Tris some more.

I also want to talk to Ken before I leave.

"Tris. I'm going to go. I have to work later, and I also want to talk to Ken about bringing you some blankets later. I'll see you later. I love you, so so much."

She squeezes my hand, but says nothing and only looks in my direction as I leave the room.

Ken's office is only a few doors down from where Tris's room is, so when I arrive, I tap on the door with my knuckle. Ken calls to come in, and I enter the room, him smiling lightly at my presence.

"Good morning, Four. What can I do for you?"

"Can I bring her blankets when I come later? She's freezing and uncomfortable even without the cold. Just because she doesn't like that one that you guys gave her doesn't mean she could have one that I bring from my home?"

"I don't see there being a problem with that. Bring them the next time you come."

"And one other thing. Do you think her hearing is okay? She all of a sudden doesn't really look at me when I talk to her, and she kind of has a new, lost and feared look in her eye constantly."

"I also have noticed that, and we are looking into it. I'll let you know what the outcome of that test is. I'm hoping to test heron that later today if not tomorrow."

I nod, not really interested in engaging conversation.

"I have to be back to Dauntless within the hour, but I'll hopefully come back later tonight. Good bye." I stand, walking out as Ken also gives me some kind of farewell.

I make my way out into the bitter cold, February morning. Snowflakes wiz by as the wind ripples past me.

Why doesn't she look at me anymore?

I'm back guys!!!

So my band scored second place for our state championship last week, which is pretty great. 🤗

Friday updates will resume as they were before October came along...🎉🎉

Anyways...

Qotc: Favorite kind of soda/pop/fountain drink?

Aotc: Mountain Dew

56.2k reads!

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to...

Vote

And

Comment

And

Be brave because I <4 you all so so much! 💚💚💚