Chapter 50 - Bad

Follow me and updates on this story on Instagram @ kattheabnegation !!!

Chapter 50 - Bad

Third Person

"SHUT IT DOWN." He hollers, breezing his way from the entry over to Josh's office. "I'M NOT GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN."

"West--"

"No. The damage has been done. The vote was no, but you went on. BOTH OF YOU." West, the leader of Candor roars, looking at both Erudite leader, Mark and Dauntless leader, Josh.

"But how could you be so cruel?! These people were going, and some still are going insane; do you not want us to have the information to help them?!" Mark argues his side.

"It wasn't safe. Now we all are at risk! Who's going to tell the people of Chicago that? Huh? Who's going to tell them that there was a first wave taken away before ours? Who's going to tell them that one of the leaders of that building didn't die? Who the hell is going to tell them that we may be at risk of another war? I can tell you one thing: it won't be me. This isn't my mistake. It's yours."

"Woah woah woah. Wait a minute. Where did you hear all of that from?" Josh stands from behind his desk, his hands on the dark oak.

West chuckles, "And to think you think I didn't read all the information that you guys collected. No wonder why we're all screwed!"

Mark stands among the men on either side of him, "West. It's under control--"

"Really? Is this what you call control?"

"We were just trying to help the people. Do you not care about them?" Josh signs, not wanting to surrender but knowing that he should.

"I do care. I care a hell of a lot to be exact. I care about keeping the rest of the city in tact and safe. If that means a few saved stragglers going insane or being hurt, at least we saved the majority. They should be grateful, not paranoid."

"BUT YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH MEDICALLY CHALLENGED PEOPLE BEFORE, WEST! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO SAY THAT? Do you seriously think they chose for this to happen, and for some to go insane?" Mark gets into West's face, screaming.

Mark has spent his fair share in the Erudite hospital, especially the MIU. He worked there before the war, and before he took on the job of leadership after the war.

West falsely coughs, stepping away from Mark. "The other leaders and I had a meeting last night, and those from other factions that were involved I have forgiven. Needless to say, I will not be so light on you guys either. The ones that are getting the real fixing are those rescued. They're all a threat and guilty until proven innocent."

"What are you implying?" Josh looks at him skeptically.

"I want all of those rescued at Candor Headquarters tomorrow. They will be try tried with truth serum, and those proven guilty of siding with the enemy will be banished from the city."

"What about those in the hospital?" Mark turns to look at West.

"I don't care where they are or what you do, but get them there."

"West. I don't think you understand--"

"I don't need to understand. You both clearly didn't understand the new laws of voting in place. The vote was no, so why did this investigation still happen I might ask? You see, if you two couldn't understand the simplicity of no meaning no, then you will have those people at Candor Headquarters at eleven in the morning sharp."

Both men are silent. 

"Oh, and I forgot to mention that you two also will be tried tomorrow under serum. Your leadership roles are both on the line here."

The men continue to stay silent.

They don't bother to disagree. They're guilty. They started the investigation; there's no saying otherwise.

"The people also will be signing a contract. This way, they are not allowed the rights to have a leadership role being either a leader or a head ambassador, they are not allowed to have any kind of teaching role in the factions; meaning a initiation instructor. For the Erudite specifically, they are not allowed to work anywhere in or hand-in-hand with the hospital. This means doctoring, nursing, clinical things, pharmacy needs, and all of that. Specifically for the Dauntless, they are not allowed to teach any classes of any sort in the Training Room, also counting initiation. They cannot attend the Training Room without the accompany of another person that hasn't also signed the contract. These people also cannot be any higher than the fifth line of defense when it comes to those defense lines. They must be used as a last resort, if even that. If they refuse to sign this contract, then they also will be thrown from the city. The other leaders and I have decided on this, so it's a shame if you don't agree."

Josh speaks first, "We don't even have a fifth line of defense in out defense squads. The highest is the four that we have."

"Make a new one then."

"What's the point?" Mark says. "You're basically stripping them of they're rights, and they didn't even choose this. This is not how we all decided Chicago would work after the war ended. I find it extremely hard to believe that the others agreed to this."

Shit. Mark thinks to himself. They're catching on. I have to hold them off. They can't know they didn't agree to this at all.

Sometimes, matters just have to be taken into your own hands.

I have the matter in my hands now.

And I won't let them take it away from me.

"You don't have to believe it. This is what's happening, so get over it now." West shrugs.

"Let your IB group know that this little game you all started is over. You're all lucky I'm not having them tried tomorrow as well."

The men are silent.

"I must be going now. I will see you both with the former captives at eleven tomorrow." West leaves the office on the same breeze-like matter that he came in with.

"There's no way in hell that we're going to be able to get some of them over tomorrow. " Mark comments, taking a seat.

Josh sits, holding his head in his hands, then rubbing his hands through his hair; something he's prone to doing when he's stressed. "We're really in a screwed up situation right now. We are at risk of war, and this is a terrible plan West has going with the rest of the city."

"What are we going to do?"

"Take it one day at a time. Right now, we have to deal with tomorrow."

"The Prior girl. There's no way that she's going to be able to get over there tomorrow. At this point, she's the only one in the MIU from the rescue, and she's not mobile at all; mobile or sane. She doesn't even speak from what I've heard." Mark states.

"Talk to your doctorly people about it. At this point, I really don't know what options we do and don't have." Josh sighs

"This is bad. Like, really bad." Mark says.

"Yep."

50k!! Thanks so much guys! You all are amazing!

Anyways...

Thanks for reading!!

Don't forget to...

Vote!

And

Comment!

And

Be brave bc I <4 you all so so much!! 😁