Chapter 57 - Smile

Chapter 57 - Smile

Third Person

She cowers into the corner when she hears the door opening, the footsteps a sound she does not recognize. She clutches the old, large blanket Evelyn gave to Tobias to give her, and uses it as if it was a shield between her and whoever is entering the room.

"Beatrice Prior. So we meet again." West enters the room, speaking in an overly loud voice. Dr. Norton is right at his heels, the one requirement West had to grant; that he wouldn't be left alone with Tris.

"What the hell are you doing down there, girl. Stand up and face me for the horrors you've done."

"Sir," Ken says. "She can't stand. She hasn't since she's been back. All of the injuries to her leg--"

"Bullshit. It's all just bullshit. She was never actually hurt. That's just what she wants you to think."

"Actually, no sir. X-Rays and MRIs have proven that she actually is injured. And she obviously isn't in a sane mental state. I can't allow you to stand here and tell her to do things she can't."

West walks closer to Tris and looks at her leg bandaged up in a cast from her foot to her mid thigh. He taps her leg lightly with his boot, and she sucks in a breath, pulling herself away the little bit that she can into the corner.

"Ah, bullshit. She would've screamed if she actually was that badly injured."

"Sir. Please come to my office. I don't think you understand some key things you need to know before coming in here and talking to her." Ken stands his ground.

"No. I think I understand just fine; well, all the things she's faking of course."

"Now Beatrice," Ken gets down on his knees to her level. "Hello? Beatrice? Anyone home in there? Could you at least look me in the eyes when I speak?"

"She can't see, West. She's blind."

"Okay then. Care to explain to me how you determined that one."

"How about you learn that you aren't in charge of me, and I am allowed to kick you out of this section of the hospital. You may be a Candor leader, but here in Erudite, you just as average as an every day person. Now with that I'm going to have to ask you to leave before I have the Dauntless guards come and take you out."

"Couldn't she," He motions to Tris. "Tell me all of that."

"She is unable to speak. PTSD has just about taken over her mind, and she's petrified. You might want to think you're doing something good by being here, but you're sure as hell not. Get out, West. I'm not kidding."

"PTSD, huh. PTSD from something she had complete control over? I think--"

"Get. Out."

"Why?"

"You're banned from this section of the hospital. It's in the rules to not disrespect a patient, no matter the relation between them. Also, I've asked you to leave twice, which is also not allowed. Go, West. Talk to her once she's better and can do the things you're asking."

He turns and leaves the room silently.

+   +   +

"Hi, Tris! Good to see you again!" Marie comes into the room, hours after the incident with West.

"Do you want to try to eat anything? It would be nice if they could take the IV out of your foot and you could have some actual food." Marie smiles at her, not expecting her eyes to meet hers.