Chapter 64 - Going to Get Better

Tobias

"Get your leash and we'll go." I tell Indy, seeing if he remembers the new trick I've been working on with him.

He looks at me for a second, wagging his tail. He clearly doesn't understand my command.

"Get your leash!" I tell him again. He paws at my foot woofing as he doesn't understand my command.

"Here." I say, walking over to the table next to my apartment door that I keep his leash on along with other crap. "Your leash." I show it to him. He yips and I chuckle, clipping it to his collar.

"Gosh, I hope this goes well." I mumble to myself.

+    +    +

"Good morning, Four. Oh! Who's this fella?" Dr. Scott greets me as I walk by her on my way to Tris's room in the Erudite hospital.

"Hello." I laugh. "This is Indiana. He goes by Indy most of the time though."

I gently jerk Indy's leash quickly, hoping to get the point across to not get excited as Dr. Scott walks towards us.

"Hey there, Indy." She says, putting her hand down to let him sniff her. He licks her hand, making her laugh.

"Let me know if you need anything." She says, smiling at me and then walks away.

Down this hall and to the left, then down that hall and another left after that. Indy stays by my leg the whole time we walk, wagging his tail when people walk past us.

I'm so lucky to have such a well behaved dog like him.

When we reach the door to Tris's room, I knock on the door, then open it.

Strangely, my heart isn't racing like I thought it would be.

"Hey Tris." I say, smiling at her when we pass the small hall with a bathroom attached to it in her hospital room.

"Hi." She says very quietly. Her voice still hasn't made it back to the way it always was.

"Wh- who's--" she sees Indy, and I cut her off.

"This is Indiana, Tris. He's my dog." I look down at him, and he thumps his tail on the floor from his now sitting position.

I look back over at Tris, and her blue-grey eyes are just staring at mine. I can't tell if she's scared or not, or if she's confused or concerned.

"Remember how I told you Evelyn got me a dog just under a year ago?"

She takes a deep breath and blinks hard, her stare no longer being on me.

She could possibly have memory loss. We can't really be sure though. There's a chance she's fine, but there's a chance bits and pieces may come and go until she's completely better. I hear Dr. Scott saying in my head the same words she said to me last week.

"Indy." She says quietly.

I didn't tell her today that he goes by Indy.

"You remember me telling you?" I can't help but ask.

She nods, still seeming unsure of herself.