Chapter 24 - You Didn't Deserve This

Cara

Finally, Caleb and I are back at our old apartment, but now with our new addition.

The two of us were released from the hospital yesterday, and the day before that Caleb went to the headquarters to see if our house was cleared and if we could get it back.

Luckily, everything was left untouched and we got it back just as if nothing had ever happened.

Beatrice's room was a little bit more than half done before we ended up leaving. There was the walls painted a light lavender, a dresser with a few onesies in it, a rocking chair and a crib.

Okay, so for the most part, I guess it was mainly done. It was just extremely unorganized and the crib and chair weren't put together yet.

That was what Caleb and I did last night.

More like that's what he did while I held Beatrice and read the directions to him.

He isn't the handiest hardware person in the planet, but neither am I, so I don't have very high expectations.

He did his best though... and the crib survived the night with Beatrice, so that's a good sign.

I totally had faith in him.

I was only a little paranoid when putting my daughter in the crib, scared that it would collapse.

I think he was nervous too though.

As for Beatrice, she slept all night, so that's a good sign.

I've been told not to get use to sleep with a newborn though...

"Good morning." I say to Caleb leaning my head on his back and wrapping my arms around his waist from behind. I found him in Beatrice's room holding her.

"Hey." He says quietly.

"We're still going to see your sister today, right?" I ask.

Ever since Tris has ended up in a coma, as long as she's been stable, they've been letting people see her.

"Yeah. Is there any way that Beatrice could not meet her today...? I don't want Beatrice's first time meeting Beatrice to be when she's unconscious and probably won't even know we're there."

I laugh. "That is really going to get confusing, isn't it."

"Yep." He chuckles.

"And yes, I agree with you. Maybe we can see her one at a time, because we can't just leave Beatrice alone while visiting Tris." I say.

He nods, turning around to face me.

"Have you heard from Four lately?" I ask him.

"I know that he went back to Dauntless three days ago, but other than that, I don't know."

I nod.

He has to be upset too... He cares so much about her. I can't even imagine what he's feeling. It's probably similar to what the rest of her family and closer friends are feeling right now, but probably different too. He knows her differently just like her parents know her differently and how Caleb knows her differently and how I know her differently.