Chapter 9 - Do I Have a Choice?

Caleb

"Everything is looking good, Caleb." My doctor says. "We just need to get back that one test and then you can go."

I nod. The doctor moves over and sits down next to me.

"Do you know the gender of your baby yet?" He asks.

"We're having a little baby girl." I say and can't help smiling a little.

"That's great, congratulations!" He smiles at me. "Did you come up with any names... Well, before all of this?"

"No. We had just found out the gender right before, well, this."

"Oh. That's to bad."

I don't reply.

"Well, I guess I'll go and see if that test is back yet, so you sit tight and I'll be back in a few minutes." He says, getting up and going out the door.

The door never clicks, it stays open just a crack. It gives me the slightest bit of an idea.

No Caleb, you'd definitely get caught, it's not worth it. I think in my head.

It's your wife and child, heck yeah it's worth it! My mind screams, making my decision almost instantly.

I get out of the chair I am in and go to the door. It creaks a little when I open it, but no one in the hall takes notice of it. I slip out of the room and shut the door behind myself, walking through the hallway normally, trying to not draw suspicion.

I know my way through some parts of the hospital from visiting Cara every now and again... But she doesn't work in this section of the hospital, so I am pretty unsure of where I'm going. I just keep walking straight, hoping to find signs or some kind of thing to direct me to the birthing ward.

As I'm walking I stop dead in my tracks when I recognize a blood curling scream come from a few doors behind me.

Tris...

Part of me wants to whip around and run to her; run to my sister, but I know I won't get close anyway. Nurses are now surrounding the door, all questioned by the scream.

I could get caught here. I have to keep moving and find Cara.

Quickening my pace a little, I go down a few more halls until I finally find a sign, it says the birthing ward is to my left so I go left down a huge hallway. I go to the end of it and another sign guides me to the right.

I go down that hallway and then come to a pair of double doors and over top of them it reads Birthing Ward.

I go through the doors and up to the front desk.

"Could you tell me what room Cara Prior is in?" I ask the woman behind the desk, praying that she doesn't question my ratty clothes or the fresh stitches in my arm, ointment still over top of them from the doctor doing them just a little while ago. They haven't even been bandaged yet.

"What's your relation to the patient, sir?" She asks in a bored voice, barely looking up from her computer.

"I-- I'm her husband. They should be expecting me. They know that I'm coming." I stutter.

"She's in room 362. Go through that door, down that hallway, take your first left down another hallway and it should be on the right." She says in the same tone.