Chapter 56 - Sarcasm

Tobias

Around seven fifteen the next morning, I take Indy with me to the spot by the Control Room.

I figure taking Indy might help, considering he would help me if Peter were to attack me or something.

Indy trots a few steps ahead of me happily, his tail swishing while he walks.

I know the exact place where Peter is talking about.

From my time working in the Control Room, I know that there is a gap between cameras when you go around the corner of the hallway right next to the door of the Control Room.

Also, there wouldn't be anyone passing by that hall because the new morning shift starts at seven on Thursdays.

I know these things from working at the Control Room; but how Peter knows them is a mystery to me.

Indy and I arrive in the hallway, and judging by the emptiness in the vicinity, Peter has yet to show himself.

The hall is dimly lit; only a few lights flicker between every few that are already completely blown.

Maybe it was a bad idea to come alone with Indy... I should've left him home. What if he gets hurt or something?

I hear Indy's collar jingle as he tenses and sniffs the air. All of his fur on his back stands as a low growl forms in the back of his throat.

My first instinct is to tug gently on the leash to stop him, but when I hear footsteps coming my way, I let him rage on.

"Well. Look here. It's not like the oh so famous, Tobias Eaton to show up somewhere... alone, now is it? Did you really have to bring your little puppy dog along with you there, all mighty Four?"

"Well, hello to you too Peter." I chuckle. "Some things never change. Milwaukee clearly hasn't changed you a bit."

"Why should I change? Little memory serum never stopped me."

"Then what's the name of the guy who's eye you stabbed out back in your initiation?"

"Touché."

"Cut to the chase, Peter. What info do you have for me, and what's the catch?"

"Some things never change, Four. Jeez you know me so damn well. But, is there a catch this time? Or is it simply just me getting you to do my dirty work? We might find out."

Indy growls, probably sending the tone in Peter's voice being unpleasant.

"You see, West and I go way back. Or, that's so he says at least. Not that I would know." He mumbles the last part as if I wasn't suppose to hear. "So, you see, I came back to Chicago about three months ago or so, and I went to Candor, you know, maybe to have my former family claim me or have at least someone I once knew admit they knew me. I stumbled upon West, and he merely punched me in the jaw; telling me to leave the city and never come back. I'm not really sure how, but that somehow brought back some childhood memories of mine. One main memory being how much I always loved watching him crash and burn. One particular time--"

"What is in this for me, Peter?" I raise my eyebrows, bored of the story time of his past.

"I'm getting there. Don't rush me. So one particular time, we were both being put under truth serum for getting in a fight. His mother, well, she always adored him and told only if how perfect her son, West was. Despite telling how he started everything and it was all majorly his fault, she kept insisting it was mine and the system was rigged in my favor and blah, blah, blah. Long story short, his mother in the later future had been put on truth serum for who knows what, and she tried to lie while not being a Divergent and ended up having a heart attack from the stress she put on herself in those moments to try and lie."

"What does this have to do with anything?"

"Not much actually. I've just not talked to anyone in like years and just needed to tell someone of this particular time and because West has rigged the system because of his mother's death."

I blink harshly at his sarcasm, easily mixed in with the info that I do want.

"What do you mean, rigged the system?"

"Tris wasn't tried after that whole incident of West coming to find her and her heart stopping and all that fun kicks and giggles; but at one point, she is going to be. Just be careful what's in that serum they give her. They wouldn't use death serum, but she still is Divergent, so who knows."

"You told me you had a tie in with West, and how to get into his head."

"You don't. Other than using his loss of his mother and the realization that he was born also in Milwaukee while he calls people out, ahem, people that came back from that building, for not being citizens of this crash and burn gates of hell city you got going here."

"What's your little puppy dog's name here?"

"Indiana. He goes by Indy."

"Hm. Unrelated to name nicknames run in the human to dog biological family, I see."

"Well, you and Puppy Dog here must know that West won't stop for much, but he will stop for proving him wrong, and puppy dogs. He's deathly scared of dogs."

"Is it really necessary to hide the information I want in sarcastic bullshit?" I glare.

"Some things never change, just like West's ability to lie until he gets what he wants. Power may have become bias to Candor being the head, but get Amity and Abnegation with Erudite and Dauntless. Candor isn't the head."

"But then we are right back to where we started almost five years ago."

"Time's ticking, and for all you know, so is your sanity. He's going to find a way to prove Tris guilty of anything possible when she is tried. He-West knows more than you think. He knows a lot about Tris too... information he isn't giving to doctors, or you, the all mighty Four of--"

"How do you know all of this?" I cut him off.

"I have my ways." He says, and he turns, walking back down the hallway from the direction which he came.