Chapter 14 - Be Brave Tris

Chapter 14 - Be Brave, Tris

Tobias

I don't know if I can do this. I think to myself.

"I'm assuming that you've been recently informed of her condition...?" The nurse asks.

"As of yesterday night, yes."

"Okay, well nothing has changed except her non-stop freaking out over something we do not know. We have been trying to move some things in and out of the room because maybe they were causing her to flip, but none of the changes did anything to help her. We are thinking that if she doesn't calm down we should move her to another room if something is upsetting her in this one."

"No. I think that changing her room would only make it worse on her. She's just having trouble adjusting to the hospital and different people. Just give her time."

She nods. "We will take that into account in our decision."

I follow her down another hallway until she stops at a door. I can hear Tris from the inside faintly, and she doesn't sound too good.

"She doesn't talk much at all besides certain sentences that have came with the PTSD and panic attacks, so don't expect a reply to any open ended questions. She is more calm around different people when they talk, so as soon as you go in tell her who you are and just keep talking from there. I'm sure you won't have much trouble talking to her unlike the rest of us from you knowing her personally. The doctor will be in the back and I'll be somewhere out here incase anything goes bad with her. Got it?" She says giving me a sad smile.

I nod. She softly raps on the door with her knuckle, then opens it for me. Cautiously, I step inside and quietly shut the door behind me.

I make my way across the room quietly, but stop halfway to take everything in.

She has fallen pretty quiet, I hear her whimper as she continues to shake a little and tears stream down her cheeks. She has an IV going in her left arm, and stitches across her jaw on the left side of her face. She also has a tight bandage wrapped around her right forearm, right above her wrist but below her elbow.

I don't remember there being anything wrong with her forearm...

"Hi Tris." I try to keep my voice from wavering. I step a few feet closer, enough for me to talk quietly but so she'll hear me, but not so close so that she won't freak out.

She jumps at the sound of my voice. Something in her facial expression changes, but I really can't tell what.

"It's me, Tobias."

Her face goes slack. She shows no emotion except for her eyes staying clenched tightly.

I move a little bit closer, unsure of what to say or do. She slowly begins to shake again and I take a step back, hoping that I didn't frighten her.

"Hey. It's okay. You're safe now. Nothing will hurt you, I promise." I say.

She stops trembling again at the sound of my voice.

I can't believe he has caused her this much pain. She still can't calm down, even after he is dead. He's going to haunt her for the rest of her life probably, and there's nothing I can do about that except comfort her.