Chapter 62 - Behind Those Eyes

Tobias

The following three weeks have been a constant uphill climb we've all continued to struggle on.

Now that Tris has her sight back, she's struggling to make everything out around her.

She seems almost more scared than she was before...

She hasn't really began to speak much yet, but she has been able to say a few words every now again perfectly fine.

When I talked to her doctor, Marie Scott on the phone yesterday, she said she thinks that she now is able to speak, but is just scared to.

I asked her what she meant, and she said something along the lines of her kind of biting her tongue when she goes to speak. Differed to three weeks earlier she would try to speak but nothing would come from her. Now she's scared of something, and to be honest, it makes perfect sense.

She said that Tris will speak when she feels, and she'll come around eventually. Everything is just such a shock to her right now, and she's under a bunch of stress.

I know she'll come around.

Just because she's learning to trust us again doesn't mean she isn't the brave woman she once was.

In my mind, she's never changed.

+    +    +

"Let's see if we can get you upright and standing on your right leg today, Tris." Dr. Scott says after talking with us a little bit about the leg exercises Tris has been doing the past two weeks in bed, and how she should be ready to get moving on crutches very soon.

I notice that Julie, Tris's former nurse who was replaced when she went to the MIU, is now back and Tris's nurse again. She smiles at me lightly, and I give her a smile back. I haven't had many conversations with her before, but Tris seems comfortable with her, so I'm sure she's a kind woman.

Marie goes through the motion of telling Julie and I where to stand and how to help. When she's done, I look at Tris and see a sense of paranoia in her eye.

I don't think this is going to end well.

I want to punch myself for thinking so negatively, but I just can't help myself.

I stand on Tris's right side to hold her up and be ready to catch her if she goes down.

There's a walker without wheels on it in front of Tris's bed, and the bed is raised so that her foot will be at a perfect level with the floor.

Marie calmly moved the blanket that my mom gave to me to give Tris off of Tris's small, frail body, and Tris shivers lightly in response.

It's nearing April now, and it is getting a little warmer outside, but Tris is still always cold. I guess it's expected though, for she has just skin and bone on her whole body. She's beginning to keep little amounts of food down, but most of the time it comes right back up within an hour.

"Tobias." She barely whispers. Her blue-grey eyes meet mine and she looks as if she's pleading me to not have her do this.