Chapter 3 - Uriah's Condition

Uriah

I see a glimpse of Marlene's face for a split second before I'm wheeled off into a hospital room.

I've only ever been in the Dauntless infirmary before, never an Erudite infirmary.

Boy are the two much different.

This place is so clean and crisp with its white walls.

All that I remember is the pain in my forearm where I was shot as the doctors wheeled me in the opposite direction of Marlene and away from my older brother screaming after me as they took me into this room and knocked me out.

I groan as I shift a little, pain shooting in my arm, but I no longer feel the metal bullet lodged in my tissue. It still is somewhat numb from when I'm guessing they must have operated on it, but who knows.

"Oh good. You're awake. Try and stay as still as you can. You don't want to rip the stitches in your arm now." The female nurse says looking at a clipboard at the foot of the bed I'm on. "Uriah, right?" She looks at me and all I can do is slightly nod.

She walks over and messes with the IV that has a tube going into my left arm, then walks back over to the clipboard and writes something down.

"I'm going to go get a doctor. I'll be back." She says abruptly and then leaves through the white door, it clonking as it closes, showing how heavy it is.

I take a deep breath and lean back on the propped up bed. It isn't until now that I realize how tired and weak I feel. I feel as if my whole body is a twig and on fire. I turn my head to the side and close my eyes.

I just hope I can see Zeke and Marlene; well, everyone soon.

I hope everyone is okay.

They have to be, right?

A soft knock echoes through the room and then the door opens.

"Hello, Uriah." A man in a white coat walks in and stands on the left side of the bed.

He turns to the nurse, "Does he still have a high temperature?" He asks. She shrugs and digs through a container of medical stuff.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, his voice very deep, yet calm. I mentally sigh. Average Erudite.

"C--crappy." My voice croaks in not being used for a while.

The nurse finally finds what she's looking for, then she presses a button and runs this metal, plastic thing across my forehead. It beeps and she looks at it, then shows the doctor.

"Yeah. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon. Your bullet wound ended up pretty badly infected, but it could've been much worse. We have you on IV antibiotics which will be kicking in real soon and hopefully then you will be loads better."

"When can I see my brother?" I ask.

"I was just going to talk to you about that. Now, we aren't letting any visitors anywhere near all of you that came in today, but if you're doing better tomorrow, then maybe tomorrow."

My heart sinks. "But, it's been three years since I've seen him. I just can't wait one more day. I don't think either of us could survive. He was screaming for me when I was wheeled away for surgery. He's scared about me. I need to see him!" Tears brim my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Uriah. We just can't risk your infection getting worse. We want you to get better, not worse, so they and wait at least until tomorrow. I can give him an update on you and give him a message for you if you'd like. What's his name?"

"Zeke."

"Okay. I'll go find him. Are you up to eating?"

I nod, unsure if I'm hungry or if I just feel like I should eat since its been a long time since I actually have had food.

"I'll have a nurse bring you some dinner. Either I or a nurse will check in on you later, just try and relax and not move too much and you'll be okay. See you later." He says.

I don't answer. I just don't have enough energy to barely blink, so I turn my head again and close my eyes.

I fall asleep before the nurse ever shows up with my dinner.

It's the first time I've actually somewhat slept in over three years.