Chapter 63 - Reflection of Her

Tobias

"Hey. How are things?" Josh says as I am making my way down the hall to the Dining Hall. I am meeting my mother there for dinner.

"Pretty great, actually. What about you?"

"Eh. I've been better. I've been looking for you, but I ran into Evelyn earlier today and she told me how you were visiting Tris. How'd that go?"

"Pretty great, actually. Since she's had her sight back for a few weeks now, they decided to try and start to get her standing. She's getting there, but she can somewhat stand with a bunch of help and support."

"That's wonderful. I'm glad to hear."

I look around the hallway before I ask the next question I have. We are standing at a corner, so we would be able to see anyone coming in either direction. Luckily, no one is coming.

"Is there any news on that New York place yet?" My voice lowers extremely and I question if he even heard me.

"No," his voice lowers just as mine did. "The Bureau is obviously involved and knows some things, but they've got everything under a padlock. We don't have access to any of the files."

"Will the Bureau ever leave us alone?" I groan.

He chuckles, but then brings his voice back to the low tone he was talking in. "We really aren't sure where we're moving from here. We could send people to the Bureau to try and find it, but that would most likely start another war; another war that we don't need."

I nod and I can tell how frustrated he is with the topic. He must've been working a long time just to find that the Bureau knew things, but they won't give them up.

I look at my black watch on my wrist and see that it's seven fifteen.

"I'm sorry but I've got to go. I told my mother I was meeting her in the Dining Hall at seven for dinner, and I'm pretty late." I chuckle.

He chuckles back. "See you later, Four."

I walk down a few more halls, two more flights of stairs, and eventually I reach the Dining Hall and see that it's completely empty except for my mother sitting at the back table for two that we always take whenever we are here.

I see that she has already grabbed some food, so I go to the back and grab some things out of the back fridges, then swipe my card to pay for it. I head towards the table my mother sits at.

She jumps lightly at my entrance as she sits at the edge of the chair. She still always sits on the edge of things as if she'll run away in a split second.

She's actually settled down here. Don't actually think she'll run, you idiot.

I hate my mind sometimes. It can be annoying.

"Hello." I sigh, sitting down across from her. She smiles lightly and says hello.

I see that she has grabbed a salad, along with some kind of crunchy potato product, and cake.

I also got the crunchy potato things and cake, but I grabbed a chicken sandwich instead of a salad.

"I haven't been down here in forever." I comment, trying to make some kind of conversation. "There use to always be people cooking hot food all day. Now, this is what it has come to."