Chapter 13 - Blue-Gray Eyed Baby

Chapter 13 - Blue-Grey Eyed Baby

Cara

"Genetically, it is impossible." I look up from my daughter to meet Caleb's eyes. "She can't have direct genes from Tris for obvious reasons. But it is obvious that the two have very similar genes."

"Yeah. The Wright side. I remember one time overhearing my mother tell Beatrice about her side of the family; filling in the gaps that her journal didn't mention. Tris has her blue-grey eyes from my grandfather; my mother's father. I remember her saying that Tris's had more of a blue color to them than his did, and now, so does the baby. She also has an identical but smaller facial structure to Tris, her nose especially. I don't know where either of them got it from though. It's not my mother's, nor my father's. It must come from somewhere earlier down the line." Caleb acknowledges, reaching over and stroking the baby's small cheek while she silently lays in my arms, looking up at me in her deep blue-grey eyes. They seem to have more blue than grey in them, just like Tris's.

"She's perfect." I hear him whisper, smiling.

We both sit, smiling at our beautiful baby blue-grey eyed girl.

"Have you heard anything about Tris yet." I ask.

He nods, looking down at his feet.

"Not good?" My heart drops as the words leave my mouth.

"I'm afraid not." He sighs, his eyes meeting mine.

"So last night, well, actually early this morning, I was talking to Four in the bigger waiting room by the end with hospital patients. I went to see who was there once the nurses kicked me out and took the baby out for tests. Four was the only one there, and he had just gotten news from Tris's doctor at that point. She had surgery and they stitched her leg all up, but the bullets weren't usual bullets and they tore up the muscles in her leg." He takes a deep breath.

"They have everything all stitched up, inside and out... But stitching muscle back together doesn't always work. They aren't sure if she'll be able to keep her leg. She also has extreme trusting issues, which is understandable, but she is freaking out with anyone she doesn't recognize. They said that because of all of the blood she lost, she really should be in a coma, but instead she is almost the complete opposite of that. They said that she's basically perfectly conscious, but fighting for her life. It would almost be easier on her if she was in a coma. Then she wouldn't have to deal with the panic attacks and trusting problems." He sighs.

He clenches his eyes shut tightly. "They really aren't sure she'll make it. They said at first thought it seems like she would because her surgery went fine, she's conscious, and if she had to, she could have her leg taken off and still live; but, stress is eating her like a wild animal, they're scared she might hurt herself, or that her body is just shutting down because of everything."

I feel a tear roll down my cheek. I was praying she'd pull out of this one like she always seems to do because of her strength. But it's still not too late for her to.

Sensing something is wrong, the baby whimpers. "Shh." I stroke her small cheek, but I just can't smile, no matter how much I want to tell my daughter it's all okay, it's not.

I've been thinking about it for a while, but I just really need to ask Caleb. I hope now won't be too rough of a moment.

"I've been thinking of baby names, well, just a baby name."