Chapter 29 - The Shirt

Tris

One minute there's darkness, then there's just light. Bright, white light.

My brain tells me to panic, to expect the worst of this place.

The first thing I do is rip the object that covers part of my face off.

They're trying to drug me, just like he did. I will never let anything near my nose ever again.

I try to scream, but I only manage to force air from my lungs in an exasperated wheeze.

My vision is much clearer now than it was before. I can see everything to its full color. Nothing is dark or blurry.

I start to pull off little dots that are plastered to my skin. I grab five of them by their wires and rip them off. They pull off painlessly with the feeling of a sticky residue being left on the skin where they were.

I don't know what their plan is, but I'm not letting any more of these toxins get into me that already have.

A machine next to me starts to beep frantically, then another one next to that starts as well.

I only can hear the frantic machines along with my pulse beating in me ears.

It's too quiet.

Is this their plan of torture? Locking me away to die with all of these wires sending toxins into my body?

I pull an IV with a massive needle on the end of it from my arm, and one from my hand, and another from my other arm.

There's still one IV in my foot. It sticks out of the end of a huge cast that goes up to my mid thigh. It isn't until now that I notice the searing pain that shoots from my knee to my foot, my whole leg feeling like there's tiny needles being moved around in it.

Again, I try to scream, but all that comes from my mouth this time is a quiet cry.

People run into the room from a door across the room. Again, I try to scream, but all that I hear is a animal-like cry come from my mouth.

I want to yell at them, no, scream at them. Ask them what the hell they want with me.

Another moan comes from me as I try to get my voice to work, but it's like my voice is gone.

"It's okay, Beatrice. You're okay. You're safe here." The one woman says, stroking the top of my head.

I want to scream at her.

What the heck do you want from me?

Why can't I just be free from all of this?

What are you drugging me with?

Where the heck am I?

Where's Tobias?

I want to ask her all of these things, but all that I do is wheeze.

The woman picks up the mask that was on my face and moves to put it back on me.

She's trying to drug me like he did!