Chapter 40 - The MIU

Tobias

As I jump off the train in the early evening, I make my way to and through the Erudite hospital and to Tris's room.

I wanted to bring Indy with me to meet her, but Dr. Scott said not yet.

Apparently they are going to be moving Tris to another section of the hospital soon, so she said to wait until then when the hospital bed will be more like a bed and the hospital room will be more like a regular bedroom.

I really don't know what she means by all of that, but she said she's going to stop by while I'm here tonight and also tell everything to Tris; since she's responding and clearly understanding people again.

"Hey Tris. How are you?" I smile, walking into her room.

"Okay." She smiles lightly, her extremely pale face making it almost impossible for her to look happy.

"You met the baby yesterday, right!" I sit down in the chair, turning it to face her.

Her eyes light up as she nods, smiling still.

"Beatrice." She says quietly. "I can't believe they named her after me." She says, her voice fairly clear.

"You and her look extremely similar. It's almost crazy."

She nods in reply, a broad smile still on her face.

Just as I'm about to speak again, there's a quick tap on the door and both Dr. Scott and Julie come in.

"Hi you two. I'm glad you're here, Four. Then I can kill two birds with one stone instead of telling you both separately." Dr. Scott's choice of words makes me stiffen and expect the worst, and I can tell that Tris didn't appreciate her metaphoric statement of killing. "Don't worry, it's good news. I guess that wasn't the best metaphoric statement to use for this situation..." She says, probably noticing my tension and Tris's uneasiness.

"So anyways, we just got word that your condition getting so much better has made you now eligible for the rehab center. There, they would get you eating right again, up and moving around on crutches, and if they can, maybe even get your voice back where it use to be. This would basically be the step in between where you are now and going home." Dr. Scott says, smiling.

Julie takes over for her in speaking. "But, like the rest of the people that were rescued, before they move you to the Rehabilitation Center, otherwise known as Rehab, a person from the Mentally Impaired Unit, otherwise known here as the MIU has to come and confirm that you don't belong in the MIU and that you are ready for Rehab. Basically, Rehab is a step forward, MIC is not only a step backwards, but a major setback to going home."

"You're doing so well though, there's really no need to worry about going into the MIU. It's clear that Rehab will help you get better, not the MIU. They'll be able to see that too." Dr. Scott says, attempting to reassure my worries.

"So basically, Rehab means she'll be closer to going home, and MIU means she's not going home anytime soon?" I clarify.

"Literally, yes." Julie nods.

"The thing is is that the requirements that the MIU staff had for this situation is that Tris cannot see you, Julie, nor I anytime after visiting hours are over for today. Considering that she has had an issue with people she's not known, they want to test to see that she's over, or improving on that particular issue. We can see her after the evaluation is done and she's being moved, but no time sooner than then." Dr. Scott says.