Chapter 8 - Time of Calm

Nurse Julie

I sit in the chair next to Beatrice's bed. Every now and again she reaches down toward her leg with the knife, and every time as subtle as I possibly can, I take her hand away from her leg and hold it in mine, stroking the back of her scraped hand as she whimpers in pain.

I don't know what they are going to do once they do get the results back.

I mean obviously they will take her to surgery, but before that.

The common medicine that we use to knock people out for surgery is a serum; the only way it is effective in divergents; and especially genetically pure divergents is if they are calm.

And by the looks of her now... Yeah, that serum isn't going to work.

There is other ways to knock a person out, but they will be hard for Tris, and, well, hard for us to do to her if so. Any of the things could most likely result in loosing the small trust we have finally built with her over the past couple hours.

Outside of Chicago there is other kinds of medication that will knock out divergents, genetically pure people, and just about everyone.

But Chicago hasn't made many allies with the other cities, so those medications are not available to us.

It really is a shame. It would be easier on so many people if we had the advanced medication; especially since the divergents in the population dramatically increased since the war and the fence being opened.

Tris lets out a loud whine, followed by a groan as her face clenches in pain and she shifts on the bed, clearly uncomfortable.

I just wish there was more we could do.

We don't have as strong of pain killers for this type of injury either.

She continues to move around on the bed, heavily breathing as I see sweat beads form near her scalp and trickle down her face. She begins to shake yet again and her hand goes stiff in my hand.

"Honey, it's okay. Shh, you're okay Tris. Calm down. " I continue to stroke the back of her hand.

All of a sudden she lets out a screech and then a cry of pain as she grips my hand and pushes herself forcefully back down to laying in the bed. She trembles and cries, the whimpers never stopping as I can tell that pain begins to take over her body.

A quick knock raps on the door before Dr. Scott comes in with some more medical things.

"Please, no. Please, no. Please no." Tris audibly mumbles.

"Has she been mumbling?" Dr. Scott asks.

"A little, but this is the first time I can actually make out what she's saying."

She nods and goes through the rack of things when the door slams open. A few of our newer nurses come rushing in, followed by even more nurses. They all start talking at once. I cannot make out what they're saying, but Dr. Scott can't get them to leave. They just can't hear her. Each one of the nurses has a scared look on their face, and whatever they're trying to tell her must be very urgent or important.

All of a sudden most of the nurses turn toward Tris and they rush over to her.

She completely flips out; screaming, shaking, crying; she basically goes into a terrible panic attack.