Chapter 49 - One Day

💫💫💫 My Instagram user has changed!!! Check me out on insta now @ kattheabnegation!!! 💫💫💫

Chapter 49 - One Day

Tobias

"Have they even let you see her yet?" Marie asks me once I sit down across from her at her desk.

"Once, and it was brief. I have met with her doctor, Ken Norton multiple times now. He does seem to have good intentions, but I still don't know if I necessarily trust him."

"He is a good guy, believe me, he really is. I hate to admit it, but I think his decision was a good one too, moving her and all. Judging by his plans to help her, I think his head's in the right place."

"But why won't they give her blankets? Or at least a pillow? She's terrified of the radiator, but she's freezing, and they won't accommodate to her. It's the middle of January for crying out loud." I inhale, calming myself. Marie knows what I mean, and there's no need to get mad at her for it.

"I've began to see how things work in the Mentally Impaired Unit, and they have a well oiled system that works well going on over there. They deal with all kinds of people: paranoid, suffering from PTSD, insane, blind, suicidal, deaf, crazy, and so much more. Although blind and deaf people aren't specifically mentally impaired, they have the ability to help those that are in this sector of the hospital. They have certain boundaries for certain situations in people; like what they can and cannot have."

I raise my eyebrows, very interested in what she's saying.

"They have three weeks with each person before they classify them into what group or groups of people they belong with. From there, they may move their rooms into what they are and aren't allowed to have in them."

"I don't think I get what you're saying..." I look at her.

"Well, for instance, people that are suicidal or really paranoid will not receive blankets or pillows, for the safety of them choking or somehow self harming themselves with them. If they're a whole lot worse within that group, they will sometimes even put them in a room with padded walls. This type I believe also doesn't get radiators, along with people that are blind, for the risk of hurting themselves on it. People that are blind could burn themselves or somehow bump into it, causing injury."

"But what do they do if the person is blind, but also suicidal, and therefore can't have a radiator or blankets in their room?" I ask even though Tris doesn't pertain to either of those groups. Or at least I hope she isn't suicidal. I know she isn't blind though.

"They have heaters built in the top of the ceiling I believe. They don't work the best because heat rises of course, but it's better than nothing."

I nod, understanding.

"So, Tris is currently on her nineteenth day in the MIU. That means in like two or so days, she'll be evaluated yet again, then placed into a category of the type of mental illness she has. From there, they can start to really give her the help she needs."

I nod, not wanting to intervene on her mental passage going on. She looks like she's going to talk again, so I hold my questions and comments.

"I just still don't agree with the system one hundred percent. Like, the patient is limited to the amount they can see friends and family, along with their access to really do anything. They can't leave that room, and I don't know about you, but I know that would drive me crazy. It just seems like they hold the people captive for three weeks until they know what their problem is. Then from there they either loosen or tighten the leash they have them on."

"So that's why they've only let me see her once in these three weeks then, I guess." I say.

"I think so. Depending on what her outcome is from this next evaluation, they'll either start letting you see her more or less."

"Ken was telling me about how he believes she has to learn to trust; like learning to trust people again. What do you think they can do for something like that?"

"To be honest, I really don't know. It's obvious she had PTSD, no doubt, but I feel like she has something else too that we all are missing, both Ken and I. I wish we were allowed to work together on this, but like I said, they have a well oiled system going on over there. Plus, by the hospital policy, since I am not specialized in working with mentally impaired people, I cannot be her doctor since she in the the classification of being mentally impaired. Technically, I shouldn't even be using my office time to be talking to you, but I don't care. I still care about her, making me care about you."

I raise my eyebrows at her, not liking the way she worded that.

"Okay, wow that came out wrong. What I mean is that I care about you as I would any of my patients. I care about Tris and I care about you. No one answers anyone's questions around here, but if you ever have any, you can come to me. I will answer them, or I'll get to the bottom of them for you. The MIU as a whole doesn't make sense honestly, but I can get more info on how it works than you can. I hope I helped you in some way with these answers."

"Yes, you did, and thanks for this, Marie. I do appreciate what you have done for Tris and I."

"I do whatever I can. Now please, do me a favor and get out of my office." She says with a joking smile as she opens the door for me.

"Thank you. I'll see you around then, I guess?"

"Possibly. I'm always here though, so stop by at your own risk." She laughs

I laugh back, turning and walking down the halls of the hospital.

I don't even think about stopping by the MIU to visit Tris; I know they won't let me see her. I head back to the train to go back home.

I really hope one of these days I'll be bring her back with me.

Hey humans!!

So, I wasn't going to originally do an A/N at the end of this, but I just had to thank you all.

You all really make me smile, you know that? The cut I made to my thumb was literally the smallest thing, enough to just be angry at me for like 12 hours, but be fine now.

The amount of get well's I got was literally crazy. You all are so sweet. So thank you to all of you who wished my thumb healing, and don't worry, it's perfectly fine now.

Qotc: Have you ever played "Cards Against Humanity"?

Aotc: I did for the first time today... I didn't realize how innocent I truly was until now 😂

Anyways...

49.9k reads!! (Expect a 50k speech in the next few days even though we'll probably hit 50k tonight)

Thanks for reading!!

Don't forget to

Vote

And

Comment

And

Be brave because I <4 you all so so much!