Chapter 47 - For the Better

Tobias

I stand outside the door to her new room.

Ken finally is letting me see her today. He told me prior to now that she hasn't been doing very good all day.

I just wish I knew how to help her.

If I can even help her.

I open the door to hear a quiet shriek from Tris across the room.

I hate how she acts like this towards everyone.

Yes, I know she can't help it because she's terrified, but it just makes me feel like I've hurt her some way and she doesn't trust me.

"Shh, Tris. It's just me, Tobias." I almost whisper softly, bending down to her level. Her eyes don't meet mine as they look assertively around the room, not staying on one object for even a second.

This isn't going to be easy.

"Tris, talk to me, please." I plead. "I miss the sound of your voice. Please, just tell me what's wrong and upsetting you. I'll have it gone before you can blink."

I take one of her hands in mine, but she flinches it out of my loose grasp.

She rasps with each breath she takes, almost sounding like she's going to pass out.

She holds her left palm, rubbing the skin over and over with her right thumb.

She was burned there.

How could I have forgotten about that?

Is she in pain from it or something? Is that why she's all freaked out?

For some reason, the lines just don't match up.

This burn has never bothered her in the past, so why would it suddenly hurt her now?

"Tris. Calm down, please. Hear my breaths? Match yours with mine. You're going to pass out if you don't calm down." I take both of her hands in mine, and this time, she doesn't flinch away.

Her hands were never cold. Her's were always warm and soft compared to my cold, rough, chapped hands.

Now, as her hands rest in mine, they're almost as rough as mine, and also are freezing.

"Oh my gosh, Tris. You're freezing." I comment, blowing warm air on to her chilled hands and fingers.

"Why don't they have blankets for you in here?" I comment quietly to myself, but then remember that Ken told me she has to be evaluated first.

"Will you let me hug you and warm you up?" I ask her, my tone still soft.

She shows no sign of reply, so I wrap my one arm slowly around her shoulder, then one under her legs as I lift her barely above the ground and into my lap. I pull her close to me, only to now realize how cold it actually is in this room.

What? Do they want to freeze her out before they evaluate her or something?

She clearly has no weight on her body either to help her the tiniest bit. She's all skin and bones at the moment.