Chapter 44 - Darkness

Third person

She hears his footsteps walk in as the door opens. Lying still,
She hopes that maybe he will leave her alone if she looks like she's asleep.

"Beatrice, I know you're awake. You're really not very good at acting." He says in a motherly tone.

She continues to stay silent and lay still with her eyes closed lightly.

'I don't care what he does to me.' She mentally sighs.

The other cells that once housed her mother and father along with her older brother Caleb and his wife Cars who carries their daughter, have been empty for who knows how long.

David told her they're dead.

She doesn't want to believe him.

But also doesn't believe that they're still alive.

'Who cares what happens to me now.' Are her thoughts.

David comes at her and her eyes fly open, completely alert.

'Dauntless training taught me a lot, but it didn't teach what to do when you're being held captive, basically dead, and have no means of survival.' She thinks in the back of her mind

She rolls to her side and cowers into a ball, few tears slipping from her eyes as her stomach turns and causes her to gag; nothing in her stomach to actually come up. She hasn't been able to keep a single piece of bread down in what must have been months.

He wins, cuffing her hands and legs to the bars that attach the cells to the left and right of her together.

She pulls against the chains lightly, but her weakness makes her arms feel like thin twigs as she gives in to the restraints.

"They're getting ready to come save you, Beatrice." He bends down to her level at the ground. "At that point in time, my life will be over. Derrick has already escaped, and as for you and me, well, we're the only ones left."

She's unable to speak, her voice caught in her throat.

He reaches behind him and pulls out a little container.

Memories flash behind her eyes from him dumping its contents on her leg before.

Salt.

Salt on an open wound like her leg, must be as bad as death itself.

David smirks, dumping the container upside down.

She pulls against the cuffs in pure agony, screaming as the burning pain takes over her leg and travels through her body.

Her voice fades from her voice completely dying out.

She's screamed so much that her voice has just about given up and has lost her.

"Now, Beatrice. I've been experimenting with this for the past few years you've been here, but I've never had I gotten it right. I tried it out on you a couple times, and you already know that. This one is just very different than those."

She sighs painfully, the pain still burning her leg.

"I know the other one has been working because your voice is leaving you, and you can't even eat. The only things I can't test are your vision and hearing because my whole group has ran."