Chapter 67 - Day One

Day One

"They can't be serious." The girl's once best friend, Christina says after meeting with Tobias and his dog in one of the thousands of hallways inside of the Dauntless Compound. She has not seen the girl since before she went into the Mentally Impaired Unit for the first time almost seven months ago.

She misses her.

"They want answers. No, I don't agree with it at all, but it's been almost seven months since she's returned to Chicago, Christina. I feel hopeless. There's nothing I can do to stop this. They're going to do what they want, even though they don't know what they want." Tobias says as the two of them stroll through the hallways, the dog feet ahead of them.

"Can I see her?"

"I don't know if I'm even allowed to see her right now. They're considering her a fugitive, and it makes no sense."

"I can't believe this." Christina mumbles.

+ + +

"Josh. I feel hopeless." Four sits down across from Josh at his desk in his office. The dog lies down beside him, resting his head on his paws and sighing.

"As do I."

The two are silent for a little bit, neither knowing what to say.

"I really wish I could say something, do something, anything to help you out, Four. It's just, I've played all my cards, and I don't have anything left."

"Why does it seem that West has authority over the other leaders? Like, how can you not shut him down, or Mark, or anyone?"

"West, being the leader of Candor, is in charge of who to and not to put under trial. If he sees someone as a threat, he has the right to put them under trial, whenever he may desire to."

Four expresses a confused attitude, furrowing his eyebrows to where there is several creases on his forehead.

"To put it in perspective, I choose wether or not we set up defense and or attack in an area. Other leaders from other factions cannot stop me from doing that, because it is the members of my faction being used."

"But Tris isn't a member of his faction."

"He has her, along with everyone that returned to the city from the building labeled as refugees until put under trial, proven innocent to working with an opposing force, and then sign papers to become a member of the faction of their choice if they already passed the initiation, or else they must participate in the initiation if they switch factions. Considering she is considered to not have a faction right now, she is a refugee, or basically no longer part of the society we have here in Chicago."

"That's absurd!" Four becomes outraged. "She passed initiation first in Dauntless, then basically becomes kidnapped, only to return and say that she's not a member of Chicago?!"

"I don't know, Four."

+ + +

As the sun comes through the cracks in the blinds that are suppose to cover the windows, they shine across the slick, white tile of the hospital room.

The girl blinks, not yet being awake from the anesthetics and anesthesia she was given during surgery.

Moaning lightly, she moves her eyes around, realizing that it wasn't a dream, and her eyesight has returned.