Chapter 7 - Loss For Words

Christina

We've all sat here for eleven hours now; taking shifts two at a time to go to the bathroom, get food at the cafeteria down the hall, or sit and wait to see if anything happens or if anyone is called by a nurse or doctor for something...

Or what we've all been hoping for,

For them to call and let someone see someone.

A doctor had come out earlier and called over Zeke; all of our hopes jumped over the roof, but it ended up being a somewhat let down.

The doctor had told Zeke that he can't see him at least for five days to over a week because of infection that could spread or get worsened in Uriah and that it's for the best that he wait to visit him. He also said that Uriah told the doctor to tell Zeke that he loves him and that he's going to be okay.

A higher pitched voice calling my name breaks me from my thought and I look up.

"Christina?" A female nurse calls looking out through the waiting room.

My heart skips a beat and I stand up and make my way over to her.

"What's your relation with a man named Will?" She asks me.

"I'm his girlfriend."

"Okay follow me." She says and heads down a long hallway.

We stop outside a door with the number 63 on it. "He's in great shape compared to the rest of them, just a little weak from lack of nutrition, but that's an easy fix. He's been asking to see you constantly." She knocks on the door and enters.

"Christina!"

"Will!" I run into his arms yet again.

I press my lips to his and we would've probably never have pulled apart if it wasn't for a blood curling scream coming from down the hallway, making both of us jump and the nurse quickly rush out the door, her heels clicking on the tile flooring loudly.

"Who was that?" He asks looking feared, or maybe he's upset? I can't tell but I know I am both scared and empathetic for that person.

"I've heard that scream," he hesitates. "I've heard it from someone in that building, but I never knew who it was, and still don't. My heart would sink every time I heard her; or well I'm assuming it's a her, voice. It was scary, knowing the capabilities of David by her screaming." He says looking blankly at the crisp, clean white painted wall. I rest my head on his shoulder, and he lays his head on mine, just enjoying each other's company for the first time in too long.

The silence would be comforting, but the scream and the situation and the flashback have disoriented that mood into a scared silence.

"I've heard that Cara went into labor." I break the silence.

"Could you fill me in on my sister's life a little, please? Because I really know nothing."

"Oh my gosh! I completely forgot to tell you! Well, not like there was time to earlier, but whatever. So yeah. She works here at the Erudite hospital a few floors up as a nurse. A few months ago, her and Caleb, Tris's brother got married. They had been dating before the wedding and she was three or so months pregnant by the time the wedding came around. They are really cute together, and Caleb has changed to be a really great man. I did have my doubts about him and her but I realized that they are good for each other." I smile remembering their wedding.

"I wish I could've been there. I should've been there," I see tears line his eyes. "She's my older sister, I should've been there."

"Will," I sigh. "It's not your fault, it never was your or anyone who was prisoner in that building's fault. It's all David's fault, but he's dead now so it's okay. Everything will be okay now." I look him in the eye.

"He is dead? Last I heard they couldn't find him."

I go on telling him all that Four told me in the waiting room, how he and Amar were kept to clear the building of people, how they followed the screaming, Tris being found with David in a small closet, the injuries of her leg, and everything I know.

"Christina. What if that was her scream?"

I am left at a loss for words at that simple question, both of us knowing it's true.