Chapter 23 - Why Not

Amar

I head out early that morning taking my light brown, Greyhound dog, Rex on our usual five in the morning walk route.

George and I both got Rex when we had started living together a few years ago, and he sure does keep the two of us busy, but we both love him.

Rex and Indy have become really great doggy friends, which is actually really, really adorable. He gets so excited whenever he sees Indy, and even knows his name and his tail will wag when he hears it.

Suddenly, Rex starts pulling on his leash and trying to run away from me.

"What the heck, Rex? Stop it!" I scold him, gently as I can trying to pull him back to me.

"Oh, hello!" I say seeing Four come from around the corner having the same exact problem with Indy as I'm having with Rex.

"Good morning." He says very un-excitedly.

"I didn't know you were back in Dauntless yet."

"Yeah. I got back around the late afternoon yesterday but ended up just getting Indy at my mother's and staying home. I hadn't realized how little I've actually slept in the past few days."

"Understandable."

I want to know how Tris is doing, but I just don't want to ask him. I'm sure it's a sore topic; especially with him all of a sudden being back and everything. I just hope she's okay.

He looks at me, kind of like he's contemplating on something.

"There's a big meeting later today, do you think you're going to come?" I ask him.

"I don't have anything else to do, so sure, I guess."

"There's going to be all of the leaders here today from the other factions. They're going over research stuff for the buildings. You're going to want to be there, trust me."

He nods.

"I was heading down to the Main Building now. Josh had texted me last night and I saw it this morning. He wanted to meet me in his office sometime after five this morning but before noon."

"Mind if I tag along?"

"Of course not."

Rex and I walk with him all the way down to the Main Building, small talk about basically nothing keeping a comfortable silence between a us all the way.

"She's in a coma." Four abruptly says, slowing his walking.

"What?" I stop walking completely.

"Tris. She's in a coma. She fell into one yesterday right before I left."

"I'm so sorry." I look at him, but his eyes don't meet mine.

I can't even imagine what he's feeling on the inside right now.

"I thought she was doing better...?" I say, well, more like ask.