Chapter 61 - It Worked

Tobias

I wake up around eight the next morning, planning to walk to the Erudite hospital. The days are getting warmer as the March months roll on, and I haven't spend much time outside for I take the train everywhere during the cold months, and the majority of the Dauntless compound is underground.

I pull on my thick coat and cut through the Pire, then leaving the compound through the Main Building.

The walk takes about fifteen minutes since I take my time, enjoying the cold, fresh air I haven't felt nip my face in a good amount of time.

I walk in the front entrance of the hospital, and I don't even have to think about where I'm walking to. I automatically know my way to Tris's room without using the sighs labeled with numbers and names of the sections of the hospital.

I knock lightly, then enter the room, ready for what could await me today.

"Good morning, Four." Dr. Marie Scott greets me as I walk into Tris's hospital room.

Tris

I lay as Dr. Scott enters the room. I know it's her before she even speaks just because of her gait and the way her shoes sound on the ground.

The world around me is a dark grey; almost black color. It's all I've seen for who knows how long now.

"Good morning, Tris. How are you?" She says, and I feel the smile in her voice.

I picture her as a very tall, ginger-haired woman for some reason. Her voice sounds familiar to this girl I knew in Abnegation, and she was tall and always had her ginger hair pulled back into an Abnegation bun. She lived across the street from us, but transferred to Erudite when she was sixteen and I was fourteen.

I wish I knew what Dr. Scott actually looked like...

I hear the screeching of the blinds covering the window opening; a sound that took me forever to figure out, but my world going from a dark grey to a lighter grey made me eventually figure it out.

That's all I can really see with my eyes: lighter and darker surroundings, and no shapes or colors other than grey.

"Tris. Can you see any shapes?"

I blink twice, remembering the whole blinking once for yes, two for no thing we did yesterday.

"Any colors?"

Is grey a color? Does it count as a color in her book?

I blink once for yes.

"Is it a color such as black or grey? Blink once for black, twice for grey."

Once for black, twice for grey.

The simplicity of it makes it frustrating when I can't wrap my head around what she's asking.

I blink rapidly, hoping to please her in some way.

Once for black, twice for grey.

ONCE FOR BLACK, TWICE FOR GREY.