~Chapter 27~

~Chapter 27~ 

                           I knew there would be fallout from telling Saria no, but I hadn't expected it so soon. Perhaps I was naïve, thinking I could get rid of the problems that had been plaguing me for two years now with a simple 'no'. Problems didn't go away that simply, for nothing in life was ever simple, was it? Even kids didn't expect the monsters under their beds to go away by simply telling them 'no'.

It happened the next day after school, right as me and Matt were about to start going over self-defense moves. A short, heavily muscled man ran out of the forest without a shirt on and skidded to a halt in front of Matt with an alarmed look on his face.

"Aw, Mattie, you got me an early Christmas present." I said, grinning at him and gesturing to the man before us. Matt sent me a glare, one that told me it wasn't an appropriate time to joke, and turned to look back at the newcomer.

"There was a report of activity around the pack house and we found the guy to be a small man who appeared to be lost in the woods. We kept an eye on him for a while later, until he stumbled across the pack house itself and started taking pictures before attempting to make a phone call. We have him in the pack house now, under guard, and found on his phone that he was calling someone named Saria." The man stated, looking as if he was a soldier reporting to a general. I guess that was kind of the case.

I glanced up at Matt to see an alarmingly neutral face staring back at me. "We'll continue training tomorrow, Kaylee."

"Can I come?" I asked, sending him a pleading look. He glanced back at me and appeared to debate it for a second before nodding sharply.

I smiled and walked quickly after him. As soon as we got into the woods he stripped his shirt off and shifted, with the other guy following suit.

They looked at me expectantly, and when I made no move, they huffed and turned around to give me privacy.

"Thanks." I muttered, stripping my own clothes off. I gathered them in my jaws after shifting and sprinted after Matt who had already taken off deeper into the woods.

I had to admit that it was pretty hard to follow him. I obviously was way less experienced then he was, but I hadn't expected that it would be this hard to keep up with another werewolf. I guess I really did need this training.

Finally, we emerged into a clearing that had been heavily guarded by thick, wild bushes and draped vines.

If I wasn't currently a wolf, I would have whistled.

In the middle of the clearing was a large structure that resembled the fraternity houses I had seen on TV. There were two smaller wings that stretched out from the middle of the building and were both lined with white tile. The whole of the building was a soft, forest brown that almost matched the shade of the trees.

Several windows were arranged on the house, and almost all of them had bright, curious eyes peering out.

Matt headed over to a small series of sheds that had been assembled off to the side of the house and disappeared into one. I did the same, assuming they were meant for changing, and hurriedly put my clothes back on.

When I emerged, Matt glanced away from the group of people he was conversing with and gestured for me to come over.

"This is Kaylee. Kaylee, this is Beatrice, Zayn, and Cameron." He introduced, gesturing at each person as he spoke their name. "I'll formally introduce you later on, but now isn't the best time." I nodded in understanding, offering a friendly smile to the people he had just named.