~Chapter 29~

~Chapter 29~

                                            I stood in front of Saria and her gun with limbs that suddenly felt incapable of moving. My inner voices were screaming at me to run like hell but my legs wouldn't listen. Thankfully, my instincts kicked in a few seconds later and my eyes darted around to take in my surroundings.

Noticing what I was doing, she slowly smiled in a predatorily way, shaking her head. "Oh, Kaylee. I would hope you'd think better of me than to come here alone."

As several figures stepped out of the surrounding scenery to form a circle around me, a familiar sense of panic surged through me as I remembered the feeling of absolute vulnerability that my parents had brought upon me time after time.

"After your refusal, I did some digging in your parent's files to see if there was something that could help us... convince you. I found information far better, however." As if to emphasize the weight of her words, she took a step forward so that she was even closer to me.

"I've decided to be lenient on you, however. In exchange for your help, of course." I lifted my head up so that my eyes were completely level with her much darker ones.

I wished so badly to be in human form so that I could flip her the bird and tell her exactly where she could go to get my help.

Taking my gesture as sign to keep talking, she continued, "We need you to get even closer with the pack, and the alpha, to give us information about their location and defense. You only need to do so for a week and then we will strike. The pack wanting revenge on you won't be a problem once we're done, so you don't need to worry about that."

"If you do so, you'll be free to carry on your life near our headquarters, so we can keep an eye on you. Werewolves are unnatural and inhumane and need to be wiped out. You will be excluded from our list if you comply." Saria finally stopped speaking and gave me an expectant look, waiting for a sign that would give away my response.

I growled and took a step closer to her. She nodded, like she had expected my actions.

"That's disappointing but expected. I just feel bad for your dear aunt..." With a cluck of her tongue, she turned to face the street. I followed her gaze and saw three men moving towards the front door of my house.

The hair on my body immediately bristled while my lungs seemed to turn to lead. Once I had regained the ability to breath, I spun around to face Saria and let out a short bark. A satisfied smile formed on her face and, as if some unspoken signal were made, the men backed away from my home.

"Report in with information in two days. Don't try double crossing us." With her final words, she stepped back into the trees, disappearing.

I sat there in the remaining silence, anxiety filling me. I tried to think through my options but all the rational thinking inside of me seemed to be absent and my mind went blank. I couldn't let anything happen to my aunt, that was for sure, but I also couldn't put the lives of so many in danger.

Deciding that I should get out of this spot before anything else happened, I prepared to shift back. Just before I was able to, however, a flash of emerald green caught my eye.

Matt...?

He gestured at me to come behind the trees, and I did so, shifting outside of his sight. When I was dressed in the stash of clothes I had kept here from other times, I came out and found him leaning, shirtless, against a tree.