~Chapter 8~

~Chapter 8~

        The next week passed by pretty uneventfully. I hung out with Morgan, Peter, and Andrea at the mall in the next town over one day and had also gone out for dinner with them, but that was pretty much it. Matt had even seemed to forget about me completely, which I hoped was true.

 Kristy had eventually decided she would go on the trip and when the day for her to go came, it had taken about an hour of her apologizing and me trying to convince her to go, before she finally got in her car and left for the airport.

Before she left, however, she had helped me renew my license so that I could legally drive myself places. I had told her that my license had expired, but the truth was I had never even gotten it. I could drive well and everything but I had been given  an opportunity to actually go and test for it.

Now I was standing outside the door of an empty strangers’ house, one which I’m supposed to be staying in for the next three weeks.

Giving an exasperated huff, I knocked for the hundredth time. “Screw it.” I muttered, setting my stuff down before going around to the back of the house to try and find a back door. I finally found an open window which was only big enough to fit a suitcase through.

 I went back to get my stuff and shoved it through the window with a note attached. “There.” I said to myself, before turning and getting in my car.

 I sat in my car and listened to music for about half an hour, before I determined that she wasn’t coming back anytime soon and decided to take a drive.

 Halfway down the road, I changed the radio station and started bobbing my head to the familiar beat,

“Yeah, you can be the greatest

 You can be the best

 You can be the King Kong banging on your chest…”

 I drove straight out of town, not really sure where I was going, but not caring either. I was high off of the feeling of freedom and the loud beat of the stereo.

“Oh, whoa, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, whoa. Oh, whoa, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, whoa.

 Be careful making wishes in the dark, dark.

Can't be sure when they've hit their mark

And besides in the mean, mean time

 I'm just dreaming of tearing you apart

 I'm in the de-details with the devil

 So now the world can never get me on my level

 I just gotta get you off the cage

 I'm a young lover's rage

 Gonna need a spark to ignite

 My songs know what you did in the dark

 So light 'em up, up, up

 Light 'em up, up, up

My engines on fire….?”

I was singing along when I finally noticed the smoke coming from the engine. “Holy shit!” I said, hitting the brakes immediately. I ran out of the car and quickly lifted the hood, fanning the smoke away. After most of the smoke dissipated, I stared in dismay at what I saw.

I went back to my car and grabbed my phone, googling the local mechanic’s number. When I found it, I called and described to her what had happened and where I was, and she replied by saying she didn’t have anyone right now but she’d have someone there in two hours and gave me the number for a cab agency.