Chapter 39- World War Three

Inspirational quote: Beautiful things happen when you distance yourself away from negativity.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Kieran's half term was turning out to be one of the worst half terms in the world.

He was originally supposed to be tidying up so that they could evacuate because of the war however he didn't: instead he had taken a "thirty minute" nap which had really turned out to be about three hours.

Kieran was woken up again by his stepfather banging on his door indignantly, yelling his name out loud for the whole neighbourhood to hear and removing his duvet covers from him.

"Kieran. Kieran wake up, nap time is over!" He vociferated at him. "We need to get things sorted because this war is really nearby."

Well, Kieran understood that bit but what he didn't get was why they couldn't just stay here.

The war was about ten minutes away from where they had lived. It had nothing to do with them. Kind of.

"I hate my life..." Kieran muttered, slowly getting up and gracefully landing on the floor.

"Yeah well, if you're not careful, you might just lose it. Hurry up and let's get packing. You've done like nothing today."

The irony, Kieran felt like shouting. He had done one thing today. Sleep.

"For flip sake why must there be a war..." He whispered to no one in particular. Unfortunately his stepfather had heard him, then yelled at him, telling him to stop asking questions that his stepfather didn't know the answer to.

"Also. Did your voice get deeper? It seems like it."

Kieran coughed before clearing his throat and saying anything else.

"No. It's always like that when I've just woken up from a nap or something. Also... Where's Katherine? I just noticed that she isn't here for some reason?"

"Oh. I broke up with her."

At long last! Kieran thought to himself, smiling cunningly all the way.

"So you finally realised she was a psychopath? See what did I tell you? Never not trust me father."

His stepfather nodded as both of them had made their way downstairs.

"Not necessarily a psychopath, though something else."

"Which is..." Kieran wanted to know, slowly going down the stairs.

"I was coming home from shopping this afternoon whilst you were at school but when I headed inside my room, I saw Katherine with another man."

Kieran fake gasped then smiled to himself straight afterwards.

"I closed the door and then opened it again, but when I saw that man, I presumed he was dead. I then realised that he was dead because I saw Katherine with a gun underneath her duvet covers, and when she caught me staring at her, she told me 'Anthony it's not what it looks like' but I didn't believe her. So yeah, we divorced straight after that."

Kieran was clapping a lot now.

"So where does she live now?"

"The cemetery," his stepfather answered straight away, examining his fingernails intently.