Sow

~Kogitsunemaru & Nakigitsune~

小狐丸と鳴狐

Requested by DarkSparkle1808!

---------------------------------------------------------

"Both of you, take a break and have some watermelon! It's sweet!" Serving up the nicely cut fruit, both swords put down their swords and went towards the sage as she poured tea for them.

"Thank you, Aruji-dono! I shall have a taste!"

"Thank you, Nushi-sama."

As they ate the fruit, the distinct taste spread through their tongues before being swallowed, cooling down their temperature in the midst of summer. Watermelons are certainly a necessity during this season of the year.

"Did the sparring go well?"

"Certainly, Nushi-sama. I lost to Nakigitsune a few times before you arrived." Giving a small laugh at his defeat, it earned smiles from her. "At least you get to learn some skills from each other. That's the most important thing in sparring."

"We're back, Aruji! Two swords are in need of serious repairs!" Shishiou shouted through the hallway as she jolted up, putting the half-eaten fruit down hurriedly with the two swords following behind. Sending the injured swords to the repair room, it took her almost the entire day sitting in the room while she treated their wounds before repairing the blades.

"And.... Done! Good work, everyone! Leave them here to rest!" Stretching her sore limbs after sitting down for a long time, she stood up before falling back to the chair, surprising Nakigitsune. His companion had already jumped off his shoulder and landed beside her as he took hold of her small shoulder.

"You, alright?" Came words from his mouth. It was rare for him to speak as his companion did all the talking. His voice was unusually gentle.

"I felt slightly dizzy just now... I'll be fine after the feeling goes away. Thank you, Nakigitsune."

What he did next was unexpected. Squatting down, he turned his back and positioned himself in front of her before stretching his hands from behind.

"I'll carry you back to your room."

"It's fine! I can just rest here- Uwah!" He took hold of her hands and wrapped it around his neck before standing up, forcing her to cling onto him tightly. Once he adjusted, he then walked back to her room without a word. The sage, on the other hand, kept mum as well until he was about to leave.

"Aruji-dono, please wait here! Nakigitsune is bringing your meals to your room!"

A nod was made before he closed the doors gently.

"Kogitsunemaru, Aruji will be having her meal in her room."

"Did something happen to Nushi-sama? Is she alright after the repairs were done!" A hint of worry was sensed in between his words. Explaining the situation, he let out a relieved sigh before preparing the food hurriedly. She had a frail body, and even just repairs alone took much of her strength away. He knew her too well as one of the oldest swords in the citadel other than Mutsunokami. All he could do was to take care of her health through nutritious food and medicine from Yagen.

"I'll take a look once she feels better. I'll leave her in your care, Nakigitsune."

"Mmm, don't worry."

Seeing the figure walk away from the kitchen, the fox quickly did all the remaining work and started researching on what meals to cook for her. On the other hand, the sage was in the midst of dinner.

"Nakigitsune, aren't you hungry? You can go have dinner now."

"Aruji-dono, Nakigitsune says that he will once you have finished your meal. I thank you for your thoughtfulness on behalf on him." The little fox said as she looked at the sword who stopped talking, giving her only a small nod.

"Nushi-sama, may I enter?"

"Come in, Kogitsunemaru. Good work on preparing the meals. The beef stew is really delicious!" Being praised did make him happy in his heart. Placing a cup of tea on the table, he told her, "Yagen tells you to drink this after dinner. It helps your anaemia."

"I understand. Oh, before I forget..." Stuffing her mouth with the last few bits of rice, she pulled the drawer of the cabinet and took out a few omamoris before handing them one each. Both of them knew what was going to happen as they felt the atmosphere change to a serious and tense environment.

"Kogitsunemaru, Nakigitsune, I have a mission from the Government. Both of you are to subjugate the enemies in Honnouji five hours later. Hotarumaru, Atsushi and Hasebe will be in the team as well, but they will not know that this is a secret mission. Your aim is to kill Mori Ranmaru. That is all."

"I humbly accept, Nushi-sama."

"...I understand." 

"Huh... I always feel anxious when it comes to this kind of stuff even though I've done it for many times..." The sage gave a long sigh before drinking the tea, furrowing her brows at the aftertaste almost immediately. Kogitsunemaru couldn't help but smile at the sight of it before taking the tray and the cup away for washing. Nakigitsune's fox then ran towards her and sat on her lap, falling asleep as she did some work on her personal laptop. Carefully handing the sleeping fox over to the sword, she sent them out before turning in for the night.

"Please let them come back safely." She prayed with her heart and soul.