Assistance

~Horikawa Kunihiro~
堀川 国広

Requested by ItsMeganElena!

--------------------------------------------

"W-Wait...!"

The sword turned to look at the sage who was riding Kohibari towards him.

"What, Aruji?"

"What do you expect to buy if you have no money, idiot!" She said in an angry tone, but in fact, she was just worried about him. What would happen if he was accused of stealing in one of the shops? That would mean a thorough investigation from the Government, in which she absolutely does not want that to happen. Shaking off her thoughts, she took out the wallet from her pocket and threw it to the grateful sword.

"I'll be going back then! Get those things bought and come back!"

"W-What? Ah yes...!" Horikawa answered as the horse galloped even further away from him.

~~

"Thank you for your purchase!"

Walking out from the stationery shop, he then returned to the citadel, only to see a mess in the repair room.

"A-Aruji! What are you doing?"

"Cleaning the repair room! Look at those bloodstains on the tatami mats and the cushions!" She pointed at those dried brown stains as she sprayed some cleaning agent and rubbed on it, hopeful that it'll erase the stains. But sadly it didn't, and thus she threw the bottle aside and went to her room to submit an order form for new mats, futons and a brand new rack for Yagen to place his equipments whenever repairs are needed since his room was completely filled up with books; especially related to medicine.

"It's done! Horikawa, take this and submit to the administration office."

"Y-Yes! Ugh...! It costs this much..!" He internally screamed at the number of zeros he saw on the order form.

"Don't mind it, it's from my pay anyway. Now hurry and go! Dinner's going to start soon!"

"Uh... Do you need any help?"

"I am fine! Everyone's out for sorties or expeditions. They won't be back until late night... Ichigo's at Osaka Castle currently, Gotou's at Ikedaya while Kashuu's at Edo for expedition... Ah, repairs and armory after they're back... And also-"

She only had 25 swords, and all of which Horikawa was the secretary for today while the rest were being dispatched. It has always been like this for the past three months, and he was worried for her health. Recently the lights in her room were lit till very late before they were blown out by her secretary, Hasebe. All she received immediately was a long nag. She kind of disliked it because it annoyed her every time he nagged. Why can't a woman do as she pleases? At the end of the day, she is an adult; a fully grown human. The only thing that differentiates her with her swords was the matter of age.

Sending the sword off, she then returned to cleaning before she found something that was lost for a long time. It was an omamori; not for the swords but her personal one. The little stains on the cloth showed that it has been more than a year since it was bought, and yet the sage did not get a replacement at the shrine.

It was a memento from her father before he passed on a few years back, and today was that fateful day.

Teardrops landed on her clothes and a part of the charm, leaving a temporary stain.

"Aruji! I am back! ...Aruji?" The wakizashi's cheerful expression soon turned into a glum one as he slowly approached the trembling figure.

"Sorry... to let you see me in such a state, Hori." She said while wiping her tears off before facing him with her usual smile. When he realised he couldn't utter out words from his mouth, he then wrapped his arms around her torso.

"This was what I always did when Kane-san felt depressed." He whispered as he patted her back with his hand.

"Izumi huh... He's lucky to have an assistant like you, Hori."