Gratitude

~Yagen Toushirou~
薬研 藤四郎

Requested by NightXZ!

---------------------------------------------------------

Placing the book back to its original position, the boy glanced at the figure who was writing furiously ever since he came here. While picking on what would be his third book, the sage yawned loudly before stretching her sore body.

"Take a break and rest, General. It's been quite some time since I've seen you put so much effort on paperwork."

A pout was formed on her face. She felt that what he had just said was full of care yet sarcastic at the same time. It was true that she doesn't treat paperwork seriously, but at least she wasn't someone who would throw all the work to a certain workaholic like what her neighbour did in the opposite citadel.

Sighing at the remaining pile of work, she stood up before collapsing back to the cushion suddenly. The abrupt noise interrupted his reading, and he quickly turned his head to see what had happened. The female was seen massaging her feet gingerly while furrowing her brows.

"Well... my legs went numb after sitting for such a long time." She said while giving an awkward smile for being troublesome. The sword then walked over and stretched her legs out to soothe the numbness with some massages to resolve the problem even quicker.

She was hiding something from him.

"Tell me, General. What's wrong?"

The sage looked up in surprise before sending her gaze back to the mat while explaining. "The Government gave us more work recently. It has never been so much ever since I came here. Some rumour has been going around saying that we have lost the war. I know it isn't true, but many have resigned due to this. Even my family is pressing me on this matter."

"It's true that we've been sent to more sorties..." He trailed off, thinking deeper into the current matter. They were sent to more than ten sorties in just two days, and it surely caused them to have more stress. Even the oldest swords like Mutsunokami or Kousetsu showed signs of exhaustion, not to mention the Kiwames who are the elites amongst the other swords. Even if he didn't feel that exhausted, his brothers were always seen sleeping in their own rooms. Finishing the massage, her legs were finally rid of the numb feeling. 

"Thanks, Yagen."

"It's nothing, General. Ah, I'll bring you some herbal tea before you sleep."

"Herbal tea? Don't tell me you're going to test it on me..." She pouted at the thought of it being his lab rat everytime he created something new. Yagen laughed heartily before explaining. "I noticed that you haven't been sleeping well ever since the rumour started, so I thought a cup of herbal tea would solve the problem, General." 

The female pondered on how was it going to taste like before accepting his heartfelt act. Before she stood up, the boy took her into his bosom. She felt his warmth spread around her torso as he said. "You did well, General."

A surge of happiness came from her heart. Before she knew it, tears had fell down, staining his jacket as she trembled while she cried.

"General..?" Caressing her head, he looked at her while giving her pats on her back occasionally.

"T-Thank you for being my side, Yagen... I really mean it..." She sniffled as she cried even harder, feeling glad that someone had finally recognised her efforts. All along, no one was beside her except Yagen, who never left her side no matter what the situation was.

"It's my duty as your secretary, and as your friend, L/N. Come on, stop crying. Your eyes are going to be puffy when we go for dinner later." 

As per their conversation, a warm cup of herbal tea was served an hour before her sleeping time, and she had a nice, long sleep thanks to him.